BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

To answer Sam, I had 5 chicks in a Rubbermaid brooder all the way until I moved them out. However, they did get a lot of outside time with the older girls when I got home from school. So you probably will want something bigger than a 50 gal Rubbermaid tub, yes. I'd say ideally, a Rubbermaid tub would be good if you had two or three chicks. By the way, I moved them out at 6 weeks. I am going to start breeding ducks soon, so I am building a 5 by 5 ft brooder for them. Not planning on having huge sets of chicks at a time, at most 10. Even that's a lot. I'm going to have a broody hen hatch them, so she will be in there also.

Have changed my brooder set-up as we needed to expand - they've started trying to spread their wings and take off a little already! Have changed it a bit since this picture - added some towels over the sugar cane mulch until we can switch to wood shavings tomorrow morning

I just got this done for my fast growing flock! They were quickly outgrowing the Rubbermaid container and I had this old plywood boat I made awhile ago just collecting dust in the backyard so I put a top on it and added some removable shelves and an adjustable light pole that I can swing out of the way to open the top and VOILA!! The chicks have a big long box to fly around in and there food and water is up out of the way so it doesn't get filled with shavings in five minutes.

Wow BryceR, what a great setup. Love it!!

Does anyone else have issues with their chicks getting frightened when they reach into their brooder? I figure they think it's a predator trying to get in, but I reach in there multiple times per day (with treats sometimes too!) and they still seem afraid.

I just got this done for my fast growing flock! They were quickly outgrowing the Rubbermaid container and I had this old plywood boat I made awhile ago just collecting dust in the backyard so I put a top on it and added some removable shelves and an adjustable light pole that I can swing out of the way to open the top and VOILA!! The chicks have a big long box to fly around in and there food and water is up out of the way so it doesn't get filled with shavings in five minutes.

Oh, that's so cool! I bet your chicks are very happy.

Did you line the bottom with anything under the shavings?

Thanks! They really like it. Ever since I put them in there they are way more active. Within the first couple hours a few started trying to fly. Its about 8' long, 3' wide and 2' tall. The next one I build I think I would make it a foot taller though just to give them a little more head room. I lined the bottom with paper towels just so if anything makes it past the shavings it wouldn't soak into the wood and make it stink.

Atabby,
when i first brought them alll home they were all freaked out when someone would walk by but now (after a week) A couple of my chicks are srill kinda skittish and others fly right up to the edge to greet me as soon as I open the lid. I think some are just friendlier than others. Spend time with them and talk to them as much as life allows. They will get more and more used to you the more time you spend around them.

Last edited:
Here is the brooder my son and I made last weekend.. I've wanted a bigger one for a while since I hatch out around 35 chicks at a time and they do need their space

It also is dog proof as my Heeler will testify... heehee!

It was so easy to make I'm thinking of making them and selling them on craigslist... :D (always thinking of ways to make a few extra bucks..LOL)

I really like this ! I had looked at a similar one but love the wire on the front so my kids could see on without constantly holding them up. ;)
Here is the brooder my son and I made last weekend.. I've wanted a bigger one for a while since I hatch out around 35 chicks at a time and they do need their space It also is dog proof as my Heeler will testify... heehee! It was so easy to make I'm thinking of making them and selling them on craigslist... :D (always thinking of ways to make a few extra bucks..LOL)

Here is the brooder my son and I made last weekend.. I've wanted a bigger one for a while since I hatch out around 35 chicks at a time and they do need their space

It also is dog proof as my Heeler will testify... heehee!

It was so easy to make I'm thinking of making them and selling them on craigslist... :D (always thinking of ways to make a few extra bucks..LOL)

Very nice! You could also sell the directions w/supply list! I would be interested in that! :)

Back
Top Bottom