BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

Quote: Are you using a heat bulb or a regular incandescent bulb?

I use a red incandescent(60W reptile bulb) and a dimmer extension cord to adjust the heat output...worked great!

Not sure if the dimmer extension cord will work on the heat bulbs.

Last edited:
Yes it will, if it's designed to handle that much wattage. My understanding is that the dimmer cuts down on the power going through the bulb, and diverts it. So, while the bulb puts out less heat, you are not saving anything on your electric bill. Step down to a lower wattage bulb for that. But, those dimmers can't be beat for convenience!

Yes it will, if it's designed to handle that much wattage. My understanding is that the dimmer cuts down on the power going through the bulb, and diverts it. So, while the bulb puts out less heat, you are not saving anything on your electric bill. Step down to a lower wattage bulb for that. But, those dimmers can't be beat for convenience!
I've used the dimmers with a KillaWat device in the outlet, they do use less power when dimmed.

Are you using a heat bulb or a regular incandescent bulb?

I use a red incandescent(60W reptile bulb) and a dimmer extension cord to adjust the heat output...worked great!

Not sure if the dimmer extension cord will work on the heat bulbs.

A regular red Incandescent 250-Watt R40 bulb. But I like you're thinking! Adding it to my list for the grange run this coming weekend.

I have 4 cats, so I needed my brooder to be cat proof. I made mine last night in under an hour with a rubbermaid tub, some hardware cloth & zip ties. I used some scrap wood to make a post to hang the Light. This is my first experience with chicks, brooders etc. I went & got my 3 babies today. They seem to be doing well.

Here is mine. It's not the best pic because I'm doing a few different projects at once so right now the brooder is filled with beehive parts. I'll post a better one once it's all set up and running.

Back
Top Bottom