BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

We started off in the bathroom with a large plastic bin from Walmart. Our 33 chicks quickly outgrew it and my husband built this 2x8 brooder using hardware cloth and we have it in the garage.

We start on the run for the coop next week.
I think since this is such a cool brooder that I have the perfect excuse to buy another batch of chicks next year!!! Husband doesn't necessarily agree....

Question- I saw some people had little roosts for their chicks, so I made one for my own. I have 2 two week old chicks & 1 one week old chick. The older ones are loving it & the little one is sleeping by itself. I'm thinking of taking it back out until she is old enough to roost. Seemed like a good idea, now I don't think so. The older ones just finally took to it today, if my little one is not roosting tonight, i'm taking it out for a week. Am I messing with the pecking order? Should chicks have roosts?

Question- I saw some people had little roosts for their chicks, so I made one for my own. I have 2 two week old chicks & 1 one week old chick. The older ones are loving it & the little one is sleeping by itself. I'm thinking of taking it back out until she is old enough to roost. Seemed like a good idea, now I don't think so. The older ones just finally took to it today, if my little one is not roosting tonight, i'm taking it out for a week. Am I messing with the pecking order? Should chicks have roosts?
Noo.. not messing with pecking order.
Leave it in there... if they want it they'll use, it if not they won't.
They'll play on it but they won't likely 'roost' on it to sleep.

My babies mainly just play on mine, they love it. I have caught some of them actually sleeping on it, but majority of the time they sleep in the bedding. I'd leave it in.

Thank You, I took it out last night- I will put it back in. The 2 older ones do sleep on it sometimes. I think the little one can get on it, but just doesn't seem to want to. My little Buff Orpington likes to stand on it & peek out! She also eats right out of my hand. Totally smitten with my babies. These are my chickies, I have 3 more coming in April.

Lacie Gracie (tiny Blue laced red Wyandotte), Gilda (gray w/ black beak, Columbian Wyandotte) & Goldie Hen (a play on Goldie Hawn, my Buff Orpington)

I wanted to share because I am excited! A wonderful chicken lover in my area outgrew their brooder. It is a refurbed piece of awesome furniture. They designed it to collect the droppings in the top drawer and bottom drawer for supplies! I won it in an auction on the backyard chickens mississippi page and I pick it up Saturday! I think it is so smart. So wanted to share!!!

My newest are so excited

So happy that they are doing "you talkin to me" looks! :)))

after only a week I moved the 5 EE'S into this much larger cardboard box brooder. So much better,not as much dust from the shavings.From now on I'll just use large pieces of card board taped together.

Looks good. That's what I'm planning to do - use cardboard boxes taped together. I've heard putting puppy pee pads on the bottom under shavings is good for cleanup.

Back
Top Bottom