BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

yippiechickie.gif

excuse the mess this pic was right before i cleaned them up...lol at first we had our 4 chicks and 2 ducks in 2 separate brooder bins ($5 cement tub from HD) the first few days they were ok and liked it after that our babies decided they loved to be with each other and would hop and flap back and forth we then updated their brooder to a baby pool which turned out to be free since we had one laying around some cardboard boxes to ensure no one gets out bedding 5 bucks for a huge bag at tractor supply and one of my kids skate boards to give a little height to hold their food and water and a few branches rinsed off from our backyard these little guys love their new home we cant wait for our 6 new chicks to be about 2 weeks to add them in with these guys we plan on attaching another baby pool that we have along with a mini bridge in between connecting the two so they can have more space n places to play (please excuse the mess in the other pic that was as soon as we built their home in the garage n out of our house)

yippiechickie.gif

excuse the mess this pic was right before i cleaned them up...lol at first we had our 4 chicks and 2 ducks in 2 separate brooder bins ($5 cement tub from HD) the first few days they were ok and liked it after that our babies decided they loved to be with each other and would hop and flap back and forth we then updated their brooder to a baby pool which turned out to be free since we had one laying around some cardboard boxes to ensure no one gets out bedding 5 bucks for a huge bag at tractor supply and one of my kids skate boards to give a little height to hold their food and water and a few branches rinsed off from our backyard these little guys love their new home we cant wait for our 6 new chicks to be about 2 weeks to add them in with these guys we plan on attaching another baby pool that we have along with a mini bridge in between connecting the two so they can have more space n places to play (please excuse the mess in the other pic that was as soon as we built their home in the garage n out of our house)
Buff Brahama???

hmm.png
actually I honestly am not sure when I purchase my first 4 chicks (as seen above) I walked in asking for egg layers seeing as the lady first told me the ones I choose where chicks to eat n I automatically said NO! so once she brought out these babies she spoke so fast me and my boys were to excited that I didn't actually catch the breed I would love to know what breed they are they only thing I actually know is the types of ducks we got

Great idea, love it, plan on trying to do the same thing, so thanks for the idea. Were you able to keep the chicks in there the entire time until they were ready to move to the coop?

Thanks!

Hi Guys,

So we started with a large container, but a few days later my husband got a bathtub from one of his jobs, we power washed and gave it to the chicks. Now they are about 7 weeks old. We bring them outside in the morning and them bring them back inside to sleep. Unfortunately, we still don't have the coop that's why they sleep inside.

I took two cardboard boxes, taped them together, lined the base with a garbage bag, then a layer of paper and then a layer of straw bedding. I added a cardboard level, lined with scrap fabric and straw and using some cardboard, I made a ramp. The feeder is made of a tin can, some chopsticks and a bowl and the waterer (not in the picture!) is made of two bottles. All in all, I simply recycled one thing to turn it into another. The whole brooder costed me £3.98, and that was for the bedding! For the heat, I used an old lamp found in the garage (pretty nice lamp though haha). Anyway, here's a picture...
Can't wait for my babies coming tomo:Drrow

I'm using a 16"x36" plastic tub. Made a roost from a branch and scrap wood. Trough-style feeder (they kept using the shallow feed bowl as a sandbox). The waterer is a Smart Water bottle with a nipple in the cap. Bedding is pine shavings, which I replace every few days. Top is a window screen weighed down with scrap wood. They are living in the garage until the coop is done but all 4 girls seem to be happy! They are 2 weeks old tomorrow.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom