BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

Pics
Quote:
Hello Gay Renee, I wouldn't recommend using "sawdust" because it's to small and the chicks will eat it. Also make sure you DO NOT use cedar shavings, you want to use pine shavings. Cover the shavings with paper towels for the first few days.

Hope this helps!

L*A*G* :

i see that a lot of you put a few "inches" of wood shaving in your brooder. if u put a lot of shaving and have enough space, do u have to change your brooder every 2 days or so like me?
roll.png

Hello L*A*G*,
I also use 2 or 3 inches of shavings and everyday or so I use a small hand held garden tool to mix the shavings up.​

Here's my brooder, baby chicks coming tomorrow morning bright and early! I took an old storage box, added a couple of cardboard sides, a mesh lid to keep Miss Kitty out and I am ready. I don't know how I am going to leave them to go to work...

24796_thebrooder_003.jpg

hollowphil,

You might want to make sure the cord for the one light is up of the floor as the chicks will pick at it. They pick at anything trying to find something to eat.

HI everyone!! I am getting my first chicks in either today or tomorrow! i can't wait! But I am worried.I have a dog cage set up as a brooder (thanks to the first post on here!) what a great idea. I am trying to find out what temp to keep them at.I saw somewhere 95 for the first week then drop it 5 degrees every week.Is this right? Any tips for a newbe like me? I will have golden comets. I know that I need to try not to "baby" them and get them outside in a few weeks. Does 5 weeks of age sound right?It will be nice and warm out then too!we will be putting a pen up in a few days to get it ready. I will put up pics so you all inspect it for me!
lol.png

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC nikki24! Yes, 95 degrees for the first week and drop it 5 degrees each week. When you get your chicks, please be sure to open a new thread on this forum and show us photos!!

Nice set-up TexasChickens -

I think people use brooders that are too small for those fast growing chicks.

I can't wait to see the coop you build. I think those cute little chicks are going to win your wife over. How could anyone NOT fall in love with those little fluffy balls with beaks.

Here is mine... This is what we did last year too.. and when we were done with the bin we turn it upside down, cut a doggie door in it and put it in the coop, with a nice bed of shavings in it. A nice place for the chickens to hide on a hot day when they don't want to go up into the coop!

IMG_10092.jpg

IMG_10102.jpg

IMG_10142.jpg

They are getting too big for it so I'm going to have to build a nice safe place for them outside!

Last edited:
Here is my brooder.... Everything here I won at a silent auction on Saturday night... except for the tote, they originally came in a cardboard box... and I added the ducks yesterday.

24916_dscf2602.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, you guys got me on this one. I will take pictures and post my brooder as soon as possible. I think you will all laugh when you see where and how I keep them the first 2 weeks. But do not laugh to hard when I get them.

Back
Top Bottom