BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

Pics
Quote:
The scrap wood bin should be in the back near the cutting machine. It has various sizes of wood with painted ends. The paint indicates price, always worth a "look-see" if you own chickens.

Farmer Mack
cool.png
big_smile.png

Ranger, nice looking brooder box--looks like it should work fine. The chicks grow fast, so you will have to watch and judge how long they can use it till they need something bigger.

WOW!

I'm impressed!

...and i thought my cut up cardboard boxes were elaborate!

Great ideas on here. Looks like you only need an imagination...
lol.png

Quote:
I am with you, I use a cardboard box in the house for the first 2 weeks. No cleaning, just grab another box, fill it and pitch the old. Then they move to the chick coop in the barn for about a month. From there, they go in to the coop with everyone else.

Quote:
I stick with the 250 watt bulb, since my brooder is out in the garage where the ambient temp can vary greatly. My DBF put a dimmer switch on it as well as a pulley system so I can vary the intensity and raise it up and down. My brooder is a deck box about 28 inches deep and open on the top. On cold nights I put cardboard or styrofoam sheets over one side to help hold heat in.

22131_deckbox_brooder_2008.jpg

Quote:
I am with you, I use a cardboard box in the house for the first 2 weeks. No cleaning, just grab another box, fill it and pitch the old. Then they move to the chick coop in the barn for about a month. From there, they go in to the coop with everyone else.

I'm the same way!!! I want to see some pictures of these cut up boxes.
smile.png

Quote:
If your brooder is anywhere in the house, where the heat is fairly stable, usually a 40 watt, or 60 watt bulb is enough. Before putting the chicks in, lay a thermometer on the floor of the brooder below the bulb. It will show you what the temp is in that area. It should get to about 95 or 100. There should also be room for the chicks to get out from under the bulb, to a cooler area, if they choose. Even at a day old, they are able to move to the area where they are the most comfortable, if the area is available. If they are huddled under the bulb, you need a stronger one, as they are cold. If they are getting way away from the bulb, you need a smaller one, as it is too hot for them.

This was 2 weeks ago when I first got my chicks.

941_812.jpg

Now: I added a play room with the cardboard box & perch.
smile.png
they have a lot of fun running around from room to room and stretching their wings and legs~ they have little drumsticks now!
big_smile.png

941_822.jpg

I did add chicken wire on top of the cardboard box, just wasn't in the pic at the time. DH was very patient with me using the pool table for the brooder set up.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom