BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

Pics
Here's our brooder for 12 chicks...I'm sure this setup will change a lot over the next few weeks
wink.png

chickbrroder.jpg

WELCOME to BYC. It's a great place to learn everything you need to know about chickens.

You have a great starter brooder but as you realize, you will soon need something bigger for 12.

I would strongly recommend you wrap the cords of those heat lamp fixtures around the arm of the chairs to prevent a possible fire from the clamps giving and the light falling down on those towels.

Thanks for sharing pics. We all love looking at other's chicks.

Thought I posted these before but I guess I've lost my mind. Anyway, here's my brooder. I just built a face to fit one of the shelves in my shop. This should have plenty of room for my 12 babies til they're ready to go outside.

26631_dsc08280_small.jpg

26631_dsc08281_small.jpg

great brooder pics.we use the same rubbermaid brooder.my question is were getting ready to put our 6wk chicks in there coop can i use deep liter method in summer or will they get to hot.thanks

I started my 25 chicklets in a a great brooder borrowed from a neighbor who raises quail, but after 2 weeks the chicks were having to duck under the lights. I used my old dog pen to build this temporary brooder for the remaining few weeks. It has the same amount of floor space, but they have a lot more flapping room. It's not pretty but it they've been in it a week and it works great so far!
big_smile.png

4206_79025373559_670403559_1683442_4871493_n.jpg

THANK YOU TO ALL OF YOU!
big_smile.png

I am getting my first chicks tonight and found this forum on google. I have some wonderful ideas to build upon now thanks to this thread!
I have a drink tub that I have set up in my basement ready for my little ones... but may play around with some of these ideas... I'd LOVE to put them in my living room but I'm a bit fanatical about my decor. I think that a trough would fit in great so I'm probably going trough shopping this weekend! LOL!

Here are a couple of pictures of mine. I built it a base to rest on and connected to the base is a piece of plywood to catch the droppings and wasted feed that falls through the wire bottom. It has doors on the top as well as from the front and it can be split in the middle to make 2 smaller pens.

3115_picture_1209.jpg

3115_picture_1210.jpg

I actually tweeked it a little after taking those first pics. I raised the droppings tray up to about 6 inches under the brooder. This way I can store things underneath it and I don't need the fencing to keep the racoons or other creatures from standing on it and scaring the babies.
3115_picture_1220.jpg

3115_picture_1219.jpg

Back
Top Bottom