BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

Well, here is mine.

100_4437.jpg

A stock tank that was left behind when we bought the place.

100_4439.jpg

The lamp system is new this year. I built it out of a couple porcelain lamps and control one of the bulbs with a reptile thermostat.

100_4440.jpg

Works great!

100_4441.jpg

Just a question regarding water4two.....I thought it wasn't a good idea to use newspaper in brooders because it can be slippery and cause straddle leg (or is it spraddle...not sure the name).......Is this true? I always started off with paper towels since that was what i heard on this board.

Quote:
It is called spraddle leg i think. lol You are exactly right. Their legs will slip all over the place on the newspaper and it is a big problem for the chick's health.

Good luck!

Cody!!

Quote:
I used newspaper with my first batch of chicks because I had no clue what I was doing, and everything turned out fine! If you have a blanket or rag that you don't mind throwing away when you're done, I would put that down for a place to sleep. Otherwise, there's not much point in worrying about it.

I guess a blanket for them to sleep on would work well too!. I have also heard about putting a toolbox liner in on the floor for them. It gives them lots of grip.

Cody!!

Quote:
I would think they would eat that gel that shows up in them when they get wet

I've been using them for about 10 days, no sign of any gel and no one seems interested in eating them!

Back
Top Bottom