BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

Pics
Looks like it should work fine. And it isn't that scrappy, either, so don't apologize for it. Your babies will love it. What will you have for heat--a heat lamp and bulb near one end, so they can stay under it or get away from it? That works good for me--I just hatched 50 of the little fuzzies. Good winter entertainment. Good Luck with yours.

WOW these chicks are soooooooooooooo cute!!!!
and what CLEVER folks you all are!!!
great ideas for brooders...

even love the little chick feeder and waterer...
just precious!

Quote:
Yes they are aren't they. And they grow so fast. Mine have spent their first week out in their luxury coop out back and I miss having them in the house. But I head out there 3 times a day to visit. Lately they have taken to cleaning the snow off my boots, so i gave them a snowball. I didnt know chicken ate snow, but they do, and with vigor at that LOL

Farmer MacK
cool.png
wee.gif

i'd love to see a picture of a chicken eating snow!
thought only my crazy black labs did that!!

Quote:
I'll get a picture tomorrow in the am when I bring them their oatmeal...yes I spoon feed my girls oatmeal. I used to used hand feed then oatmeal but they seem to forget that the fingers are mine and not for eating. LOL And yes they are spoiled

Farmer MacK
cool.png
lau.gif

Just want to thank you all for your brooder ideas. Finished mine up yesterday and tested the light, thermometer and how the temp will stabilize. I know once chicks arrive it will need to be tweaked a little but holds a steady 90 degrees with a 75 watt bulb and a towel over the side opposite the light. By moving the towel off it slightly I can drop the temp as needed. FYI - anyone with a dremel tool and cutoff wheel attachment can cut that top out in record time. Thanks again to all.

2Dream--that looks GREAT. I use a towel to control mine, also, in my larger, wooden brooder. Works great, and provides a lot of control on heat/cool.
And as I am sure you know, as the chicks get some feathers & you need to lower the heat, just use a lower bulb. 60, 40, etc. Good luck.
Oh, one thing, if the brooder is where it doesn't get too cold, it isn't as dangerous, but if it is really cold, you want to be alert to the bulb burning out at night, and them getting chilled. I am old and have to hit the bathroom 3 or 4 times a night (lol--too much info, I know) so I always check my bulbs in my 3 brooders when I am up, and have found them burned out sometimes, with chicks huddled and chirping quietly and anxiously. But since it is heated by a wood stove in our garage, they weren't hurt. Good Luck.

Back
Top Bottom