BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

40369_original_brooder.jpg

This was our original brooder. Chicks have grown considerably, so we made a two bedroom condo out of it by cutting holes in the side and joining two together with 5gal bucket.

40369_brooder_expands.jpg

The duct tape keeps Annie (the cat) from knocking them off the table.

My 25 chicks are due the week of Sept. 21st. I have a question.

Can I made a brooder to put in my coop or do I have to keep them in a brooder in the house?

I do live in Maine and it's getting cold. Our coop is completely insulated and they will of course have a heat lamp on them. Will that be enough or should I keep them in the house for a couple of weeks?

Thanks for your advice!

Quote:
WELCOME to BYC's - you came to a great place to learn lots about caring for chickens.

I too am getting an order of 25 from MPC Rainbow Pullet special shipping 9/21.

I'm planning to put mine out in the coop in the below built brooder I saw on this site. I'll make it two levels so I can divide them when they get bigger and I decide which ones I'm going to keep and which ones I'm going to offer on this site and Craigslist.

I'm hoping my 8 big girls will get used to the little ones as they grow.

I raised my first chicks in the house and then the sunroom but man are they little dust producers as they grow overnight.

Where are you getting your 25 chicks from?

24846_byc_brooder.jpg

26709_s6303645.jpg

26709_s6303643.jpg

I made this temporary brooder (temporary because i have 21 chicks, and they're going to outgrow it FAST) out of the toolbox from the back of my husband's truck (he wasn't using it). I found some scrap trim lying around and some extra window screen for the screened cover. That white thing on the right is one of those plastic things you put on the wall of the shower to hold your stuff. I found that in the attic, leftover from the previous owners, cleaned it up, and put it on its side for a little roost/jungle gym. They seem to like it (i realize you can't tell they like it from the picture, but just trust me).

26709_s6303648.jpg

We have a pallet box coming on Monday that will very easily convert to a brooder about twice this size.

And all the stuff i used was either free or on hand. Nice.

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ :

Quote:
WELCOME to BYC's - you came to a great place to learn lots about caring for chickens.

I too am getting an order of 25 from MPC Rainbow Pullet special shipping 9/21.

I'm planning to put mine out in the coop in the below built brooder I saw on this site. I'll make it two levels so I can divide them when they get bigger and I decide which ones I'm going to keep and which ones I'm going to offer on this site and Craigslist.

I'm hoping my 8 big girls will get used to the little ones as they grow.

I raised my first chicks in the house and then the sunroom but man are they little dust producers as they grow overnight.

Where are you getting your 25 chicks from?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/24846_byc_brooder.jpg

I ordered them from McMurray.​

I have a bearded dragon that I've raised since birth. He has outgrown several tanks, so when I needed a brooder, I just used one of his old tanks! It even has a locking lid so I don't have to worry about the house cat getting in.

They're getting bigger and will soon need to be transferred to another brooder- which will be a large rabbit cage. They won't be kept in the cage much longer, I'll gradually put the rabbit cage out in the coop and let them adjust to their new outdoor settings slowly.

Hopefully it will work out! I'm new to all of this, but so far everything is going smoothly!

41080_5240_718778255569_11804957_40850228_1600448_n.jpg

The chick's starter-home!

41080_7424_720173319849_11804957_40897039_3190187_n.jpg

My niece checking out a baby chick-chick, and the chick-chick checking her out!

Quote:
Bedste that's so funny that you're using a bathtub brooder. I had the same idea!
big_smile.png
My chicks are due to arrive next week so I'm getting everything set up this weekend. I'll post some pics once I'm finished.

My brooder is in the coop. I have 25 chicks due in this week from McMurray. We checked the temp today but with only 1 lamp the max temp got to only 89 degrees. We will be adding an additional lamp before the chicks get here.

ChickenCoop020.jpg

Back
Top Bottom