Brooder to Coop Advice Needed

City girl Philly

Chirping
Apr 7, 2018
Hi! My chicks will be 6 weeks old this week, and I plan on transferring them to the coop on Friday. However, it is supposed to rain right thru the weekend; temps in the 60's. Bc of the weather I am stressing about whether I should go ahead with my plan or wait another week? I want to do this on Friday bc I am off on Fridays so that gives me 3 days for extra supervision of my girls. Thoughts?

We moved our babies outside at about that age. It was in the 40's though at night, and when it got below that we brought them back in. When it was above that, they slept in a group and were fine. The 60's should be fine for your babies. How many are there?

Thank you Broody Bist!! I have 4 hens. I should have mentioned that. The hubby and I have had them out in the coop area a few times already, just so they could get some exercise and see their new digs! They look huge in the brooder but so little in the coop area!

What about the rain tho?? I know chickens are meant to be outside, but I feel so bad "tossing" them out there if it's gonna rain for several days. I mean they need to adjust to their new home, and now they have to deal with rain too?

Aren’t you putting them in a coop? A closed in building ? The rain won’t bother them , watch to see if they’re huddled together and give them some warm bedding or a heat source .

No heat source bc no electricity where the coop/henhouse are. Will pine shavings on the tray in the roost be enough?

What about the rain tho?? I know chickens are meant to be outside, but I feel so bad "tossing" them out there if it's gonna rain for several days. I mean they need to adjust to their new home, and now they have to deal with rain too?
Our babies are in the corner of the coop, so one side is surrounded by the rest of the coop, and the other side is just the outside, separated by wire of course. We have a tarp that we can roll up when the suns out, and before rain or a bad storm we pull it down and secure it with little bungee cords. Making some sort of heavy-duty curtain should help. :)

(Sorry for the late reply, I went offline for a little while.)

Our babies are in the corner of the coop, so one side is surrounded by the rest of the coop, and the other side is just the outside, separated by wire of course. We have a tarp that we can roll up when the suns out, and before rain or a bad storm we pull it down and secure it with little bungee cords. Making some sort of heavy-duty curtain should help. :)

Thank you! I was thinking of getting a tarp .....so you think my baby girls will be ok in the rain? Also, I was thinking of putting a small solar light in the roost....just for a while. Till I get them trained to go to bed on their own. Good idea or no?

Yes, they should be fine in the rain. :) About the light, I don't know if I would do it. It would be safe enough, but they need to know the difference between night and day. They won't roost (or dog pile like mine :lol:) if there's a light on. We've had about 5 or 6 rounds of chicks, and they never had a light when they were moved outside. They were fine. :)

Back
Top Bottom