Brooder too small

I measured the temp and it was over 100 so I'm going to raise the warmer.

If I have the big shavings, is it necessary to put paper towels in?
Hold on! your getting some misinformation. A heat plate like you have is not like other heat sources for chicks. The chicks will raise up and put their back against the plate to warm up. Take the thermometer and chuck it in the garbage. Keep the plate height so the chicks can walk under plate and if needed they push up against plate. You adjust height as the chicks grow. That is why the legs on the heat plate have nice little adjustments for you. I hope you understand what I am trying to say.
I to use wood chips and like to start with paper towels spread out under feeder and waterer. I will usually sprinkle food onto paper towel at first. The way you have paper towels setup in post #16 looks great.
Hope this helps.

Hold on! your getting some misinformation. A heat plate like you have is not like other heat sources for chicks. The chicks will raise up and put their back against the plate to warm up. Take the thermometer and chuck it in the garbage. Keep the plate height so the chicks can walk under plate and if needed they push up against plate. You adjust height as the chicks grow. That is why the legs on the heat plate have nice little adjustments for you. I hope you understand what I am trying to say.
I to use wood chips and like to start with paper towels spread out under feeder and waterer. I will usually sprinkle food onto paper towel at first. The way you have paper towels setup in post #16 looks great.
Hope this helps.
Oh....I thought she had the kind of heater that gave off radiant heat. You're right about that type of heater. :oops: But, then why was it 100 degrees under the heat source?:confused:

Hope this helps.

Ahhhhh Ok. No worries. I have an adjustable chain so I can raise and lower it. :). I couldn't use the legs because it made the plate too wide. So I don't need to worry about it being 100 under there? That seemed a bit hot.

And the mama hen's body temp is over 100º...more like 104 or more.
I have never used a heat plate, btw. So listen to those that have. The chicks will be able to get into a non heated area if they want.

Ahhhhh Ok. No worries. I have an adjustable chain so I can raise and lower it. :). I couldn't use the legs because it made the plate too wide. So I don't need to worry about it being 100 under there? That seemed a bit hot.
Nope 100* is nice. You’ll see chicks sleeping under it and when needed they will push up against it.

Last edited:
100* in not hot at all. Keep in mind when you incubate eggs the temp is 99.5
I agree with this. But, I bought one of the premiere brooder plates and it did not put off heat at all. They had to be up against it like you describe. However, it was burning them, so I sent it back and got the Sweeter Heater. That one is awesome, and I think it work's like the one OP is using.

Back
Top Bottom