Brooder too small

I agree with this. But, I bought one of the premiere brooder plates and it did not put off heat at all. They had to be up against it like you describe. However, it was burning them, so I sent it back and got the Sweeter Heater. That one is awesome, and I think it work's like the one OP is using.
I had the plate low so they could get under it and nest down and it might have touched them but I don't know how big they will be either so I have it so I can easily move the clip up or down the chain. I can put one end higher than the other as well so they can scoot in close to the plate or just sit where it's warm but not brush against it...sort of like a heated lean to.

I had the plate low so they could get under it and nest down and it might have touched them but I don't know how big they will be either so I have it so I can easily move the clip up or down the chain. I can put one end higher than the other as well so they can scoot in close to the plate or just sit where it's warm but not brush against it...sort of like a heated lean to.
One end higher than the other is perfect. But, I'm still trying to figure out what heating plate you have and if it is radiant heat or a hot plate. That makes a difference as to how you use it.

Best option with plates IMO is to have them angled so one side is up a little higher than the other. Chicks that are smaller or feel colder can snuggle under the lower end, while larger chicks or ones that just don't need that degree of heat can use the taller side.

I'm a heating pad user, not a heat plate user, but I rigged mine in a wide "U" shape which is the same idea... colder chicks crawled under the lower center, ones that didn't want that much heat had the option of sitting/standing towards the sides where the heat pad angled upwards.

I have had more chicks in less space. The biggest thing is just to keep on top of the bedding staying clean. If it was a heat lamp it might be much as it doesnt allow for room to escape extra heat but your type of heat plate should be fine. Be sure to show us your babies when you get them!

Back
Top Bottom