Brooder

Mary Galbraith

Chirping
Sep 20, 2017
I have a 75 gallon aquarium I no longer use for anything so I figure it would work as a be older for chicks. How many chicks can fit in this??? I'm looking at getting about 35-40 chicks will the tank be enough space for them or do I need to get something else as well???
Thank in advance

A 75 gallon aquarium has a foot print of about 8 square feet. At hatch the need .5 sq ft each MINIMUM.....that increases in the first two weeks and they need 1-2 sq ft per bird by 3 weeks. Additionally, aquariums are very easy to overheat when trying to brood. In short, not a good choice and definitely too small for the birds you plan to have

For that number of chicks you either need to construct a very large brooder or consider brooding inside a coop, shed or other structure where there is sufficient space for the birds.

Are the breed's you are getting laying breeds or meat breeds? This also needs to be factored into the amount of space a chick will need as meat breed birds will grow exponentially faster than laying breed chicks and need even more space per chick

A 75 gallon aquarium has a foot print of about 8 square feet. At hatch the need .5 sq ft each MINIMUM.....that increases in the first two weeks and they need 1-2 sq ft per bird by 3 weeks. Additionally, aquariums are very easy to overheat when trying to brood. In short, not a good choice and definitely too small for the birds you plan to have
Thanks. Just curious. Rethinking my plans than. I was just going to use it because its sitting around, you know. Don't want the little ones to be cramped.
Thanks again.

For that number of chicks you either need to construct a very large brooder or consider brooding inside a coop, shed or other structure where there is sufficient space for the birds.

Are the breed's you are getting laying breeds or meat breeds? This also needs to be factored into the amount of space a chick will need as meat breed birds will grow exponentially faster than laying breed chicks and need even more space per chick
Laying breeds. I meant for my question to be more of a how many would fit in this size so I can make/buy something for the rest to go in.

Back
Top Bottom