Brooder

bunky8384

Chirping
Aug 25, 2018
SW Michigan
Show me your brooder set up! I’ll be getting 15 new chicks mid March, which is the most by far that I will have brooded at once so our little flimsy corrugated plastic brooder isn’t going to cut it this time. I’m not opposed to setting something up in the coop but we have 15 hens and a roo in there so that makes me a bit nervous!

I brood in coop using mama heat pad....integrating beginning at 3 weeks
20180408_122332.jpg

I have a large converted horse stall that I use as my brooder. It can host up to 100 chicks happily. I have raised 12 chicks in there before so it can take on even the smallest of numbers. I use a heat lamp and I normally separate the side with the heat lamp from the side without so that the chicks are kept warm. I am going to be using it again in May with 50 new babies!

Show me your brooder set up! I’ll be getting 15 new chicks mid March, which is the most by far that I will have brooded at once so our little flimsy corrugated plastic brooder isn’t going to cut it this time. I’m not opposed to setting something up in the coop but we have 15 hens and a roo in there so that makes me a bit nervous!

Here’s my brooder that I normally use in our laundry room then move to garage when I add the “second room”. I use multiple boxes duct taped together as they grow.
On the pic this is their 2nd week so they have an extra cool room for feeds and water (notice the light is just a 7 watt LED lamp). The first box has the heat lamp for their sleeping and warming room. I brood up to 24 chicks this way till their 4th-6th wks. By adding same size boxes, making a complete 4 room square, and these were free corrugated 3x4 boxes.
C1AF6398-DBC2-4B43-85EE-80D8CEDC42DE.jpeg

Last edited:

Love this article - makes sense but what if you are raising your first flock of baby chicks meaning you don't have adult chickens to show them the way if you will? I like the idea of the cardboard boxes...and coming in from the side instead of over the top. I am new to chickens and hoping to get my first 4 chicks soon. I was going to put them in a shed my original thought was to put them in the horse trailer... but my husband suggested the shed.

I just built a 2x4 brooder and it's about 1 foot of the ground. I have 6 chicks - 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Barred Rocks, 1 Easter Egger, and 1 Rhode Island Red. They're 2 days old now. The kids decided to decorate the brooder with stickers on the outside. I use 2 100watt ceramic bulbs, and a 50watt red bulb.
20190221_133903.jpg
20190222_222251.jpg
20190222_222238.jpg
20190222_222321.jpg

Back
Top Bottom