brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Akane, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Would a dog soft crate work as a brooder for up to 18 bantams? I have one similar to this laying around
    http://www.choicepets.co.uk/images/prod/15520f.jpg except mine has a solid back and half the top. It's 19x23x30H. The front and top unzips. I'd just have to patch a small hole caused by some orphaned baby cottontails I was using it for.

What should I use for heat? I tried a standard table lamp with 60w bulb and the highest the thermometer got to was 85F with the lamp in the crate.

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I don't know if that would work too well as a brooder, it looks like it would be very difficult to clean. Remember, you can always use a large, heavy-duty cardboard box as a brooder, they work really well.

The best thing to do for heat is to go to a hardware store and buy a work light with a clamp on the end. The light should have a metal shield around the bulb. The shield helps focus the light down into the brooder, and you can just clamp the lamp right onto the top/side of your brooder. I use a regular 100 watt bulb.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by