Brooders under $10!!!!

12chickenlover3

Songster
9 Years
Jan 27, 2013
I need some ideas for brooders that are going to cost under $12!! I already have a heat lamp and shavings. Im getting chicks tomorrow at tractor supply. PLEASE POST A PICTURE OF YOURS TO HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
clap.gif
yesss.gif
D.gif

Thanks!!!!
woot.gif

Rubbermaid tote! I scored mine on sale for $7 (its 46 gallons). I cut a window in the top for ventilation and another on the front (same side) so I can peek in and watch them. One more circle on the opposite side of the windows for the heat lamp. Drilled some holes around all of the windows and covered them with hardware cloth (attached with zip ties). Voila! Instant brooder!
Nikki

We found a kiddie pool for around 10 bucks. I had the hardware cloth already. The wood was just scrap I had lying around in the garage...Good luck and get creative!

good idea I was just hoping to not use my woodworking skills

We are using a large cardboard box. It's about the size and depth of a bathtub. We built a "lid" out of scrap wood and chicken wire... Filled the bottom with shavings... Hang the lamp and all set! Just be sure it's big enough that they can move away from the heat if they get too hot... I do put my food and water on a concrete pad I had... They scatter shavings pretty wildly...

I got 2 huge boxes from BJ's (Sams or Costco have them too) for FREE! They use them to hold potatoes, fruit etc.
They are about 4 X 4 and deep enough to put some roosts in there and still have head room.
I'm getting 15 chicks next week and starting them in a 4 X 2 box I got from a store and will keep that on
top of a long table for the first week or 2 then move them into the bigger box in the basement or garage.
If I need to, I can cut the 2 boxes apart and then tape them together to make an even bigger brooder.
I bought some mesh and velcro and can cut it to fit the top and velcro it to stay in place.
No need to spend much money at all!
Good luck with the chicks
celebrate.gif

Mine was free also, old boxes cut up and duct taped together into a circle and put in the coop under the heat lamp. when the birds were big enough, throw away cardboard and viola! They are already in their coop.

Back
Top Bottom