brooders

rearrolled

Songster
9 Years
Jan 12, 2011
Aussie
hay im gona build a brooder but dont no what to make it look like can you plesssssss send some pics that would be great
big_smile.png

Here is mine. It holds 20 chicks. I dont have it anymore since some of my hens like to be surrogate moms.

52004_brooder_box.jpg

We only have the white one( white leghorn hen ) and the tiny black one( bbr oeg hen). the rest got sold and/or eaten.

52004_dscf0003.jpg

"CHICK JAIL"
52004_dscf0006.jpg

nice brooders, i am thinking i will build one to put in my garage, i am thinking of building one that would be winter gaurded, such as i was wanting this old ice freezer (like the ones outside the front of stores) to make a brooder, i betcha it would beat these temps im having right now in oklahoma, they are in the single digits i think

Here are a few pics of 1 of my outside brooders. I have several more inside brooder but these are the only pics on this computer. I will get pics of the other brooders and take pics.

This is a pic of my raised outside brooder. Here in Louisiana it can get really hot, so outside brooders work perfect for me. I don't need a heat lamp.
6612_brooder_with_compartments.jpg

This is the same pic above but with my broody hens setting on eggs.
6612_brooder.jpg

6612_1brooder.jpg

This might help:

0.5 sq ft per chick, first two weeks
1 sq ft per chick for weeks 3 and 4
2.5 sq ft per chick for weeks 4-8
then 4 sq ft per chick

Those are some nice brooders, but to the OP, it doesn't have to be anything fancy - or even a major building project. Mine is just an old laundry tub (3'x18"x18" deep). I fashioned a top for it out of chicken wire, rest a red light on the chicken wire at one end, and it works great. Years ago I kept rats and made a cage for them out of a large rubbermaid container. I cut a large window out of the lid and covered that with hardware cloth. In the event I had to brood a second lot of chicks while my first brooder is occupied, I could just pull that out of storage and use it. I recently bought chicks from a lady who had a brooder in her chicken coop that was simply 4' long boards, about 18" high, nested together to make a square, with a light hanging over the whole thing. When the chicks got to be big enough to jump over the sides, no problem. The whole coop was well ventilated but draft free and they were able to just hop in and out as they pleased.

I had 1 broody hen so I built this with what I had in the garage. She only has 1 baby chic now and their both in the garage because it's really cold here. I had to open the front of the broody home and they have full access to 3 car garage now
big_smile.png
But ideal for baby chics

click on the pic to see it larger

Last edited:
Also check out the "Raising baby chicks" section of this forum, where I believe there is still a loooong stickied thread on 'show off your brooders' and even if it's gone poof there are still always lots and lots of people's "here is my new brooder I built" threads.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom