broodie hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mama dixie, Jan 5, 2012.

1. mama dixie

mama dixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    I got some eggs from a friend of a friend. 11 copper marlin (sp) one olive egger, love the look of this one, and one he told me the name but forgot it. I will get it and update post. I put all 13 under my 3 broodie hens last night. here is hoping they will be good. the brown ones were not the solid color they were blotchie. I am so excited. it is so so cute when the girls get the eggs and tuck them under them and puff up and close there eyes they look so content. I am sure it is the same look I get when I get my morning coffee or a good piece of chocolate hee hee hee...I so love coffee and chocolate. I am going to seperate my favorels to get them to mate only with the favorel roo but for now they just beat him up, he is still a bit young but he crows and tries to mate. we will see....

2. HetaChick

HetaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    California
    Sounds exciting! When they hatch you'll have to post pics! I agree on the broodies, so cute. My broodies chicks JUST hatched. I have no idea what the chicks are (except that ones an EE and ones a OEGB) and she's got 11 little cuties.

3. bikerchic

bikerchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2011
    Virginia
    My best friend was in my coop with me one day and seen my broody do the poof and sit (as I like to call it) she thought it was the funniest thing ever. She said she tripled her size in that one moment. I love the look of contentment they get. If they could smile they would be grinning from ear to ear [​IMG]

4. mama dixie

Aug 11, 2011
    yes I love to see them puff up. it is funny I check them each day and one of them is just so mad when I do. she really pecked me hard. I only look to be sure she does not have extra eggs under her. I marked the ones I want them to hatch. the other two hens now lift up and show me and I give them a pat and its like they are saying what can you do, to the other hens. this is there second hatch and the first for the one that keeps pecking me, I guess she just needs to learn to trust me. I may try to give them each a worm when I check every other day or so. they just dont eat much when on the nest.

5. mama dixie

Aug 11, 2011
    I am kinda bummed one of the eggs broke [​IMG] my white legger went and tried to eat it... i booted her off the nest and the sitting hen whent and got back on it. I hope I don't lose anymore. are copper marans a good breed for eggs and meat, I have never seen one or raised them. he, the man I got them from, said they are show birds and the roo was very expensive. I hope they are nice birds. it was really nice of him to let me post date the check to get the eggs and all. I am looking forward to some new babies.

6. mama dixie

Aug 11, 2011
    so far my three girls are still setting and we think that the first one to hatch should be on 1-25. so far we have not heard any peeps and I am now trying to not deserb the mama's except to slip them a treat now and then. the other hens will run over and set on the nest if they get up to get a drink and stuff it is so funny. I hope they hatch. my best broodie my little red who is a tiny bantam Cochin left her nest so I had to put the eggs under another. I hope they make it. some of the types will be olive egger, never seen this type of chicken but the egg is gorges, coper Marian and then the favor-ell Cochin mixes. they should be cute. has anyone raised the maran or olive eager's?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by