Broodie Silkie no rooster

FinnEllaMom

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 9, 2019
Our Silkie - Babs goes broody often. In the past we have used the confinement way to "break" her. It has been well over 21 days & she continues to hang out in the coop. Sometimes she is sitting on a egg (we have 2 silkies housed together) & sometimes there is nothing under her. She will let us bring her out, she is drinking and eating. Should I try to break her? We have no intentions of getting a rooster nor do we want any more chicks. We have a total of 14. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I live in Central Florida, if that makes a difference. Babs is approx. 19 months old.

It's up to you on whether you want to break her. I personally choose not to break my broodies, but let them naturally come out of it. My silkies go broody at least 4 times each year for periods of 1-3 months. As long as you see the broodies out eating and drinking occasionally, they are fine.

It's up to you on whether you want to break her. I personally choose not to break my broodies, but let them naturally come out of it. My silkies go broody at least 4 times each year for periods of 1-3 months. As long as you see the broodies out eating and drinking occasionally, they are fine.
Thank you. We do remove the egg daily. And when we take her out she will stay out for a few minutes.

Back
Top Bottom