Broodies on eggs? Broodies with babies? Post here.

smile.png
hi everyone. i have a question. my gracie's chicks are due to hatch either this thurs or fri. right now she is in her nesting box which is about 12-14 in off the floor of the coop. should i move her and the eggs to a box at floor level befor they hatch or should i wait until they hatch? the floor is about 4-6 in thick with hay for softness and i will move nest and all when it's time. i'm just affarid they will fall out if they hatch before i get home from work.

Hello Every Body! I just put my broody in her new little broody box! It was at 4:30. She sat on them right a way!
And then i put some food it there and she jumped off and eat! YEAH!!! Its 3' long and 2' 5" wide. Is that ok? I will post a pic of it tomorrow. And i hope she will be ok! There is a light bout 5' on top of her. Is that ok too? There was eight eggs under her. 3 of hers and 5 leghorn-buff cochin eggs. Well i hope she dose good! And i will ceep posting! Thanks every one for the help!
fl.gif
celebrate.gif
clap.gif
woot.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif
ya.gif
I am vary happy! LOL i hope it all works out ok! Good luck to you all!

Chicken Girl

My broody discarded two more eggs.
sad.png
Down to eight now! The two she discarded had no chicks in them, so I would gather this was an appropriate move for her, since they are due to hatch around March 9th.

Ok so i just went in the coop to look at her. And she got out of the box i made!!! I dont know how cz it has chicken wier on the top and she is a cochn and cochins don jump vary high! Well i left the wier off so she can get in it if she wants. I will see tomorrow!
sad.png
hit.gif
Should i make her sit on them?

Chicken Girl

Mine discarded one also tonight
sad.png
I'm assuming it was bad because looked to me like it had nothing but yolk in it. My hatch is due on the 14th or 15th of March. Broody doing well so far and it's also my first time with a broody. I'm going to try to leave her in with the hens. So far so good. The only thing I found is that I have to remove the fresh laid eggs daily from under her. She gathers up all she can! LOL

I had a very bad hatch letting my broody stay in with the other hens. It was real hard to keep all the extra eggs out, and she ended up letting some well-developing chicks get pushed out. I lost 4 almost fully formed 'cause of that. I hope it works better for you, and I did still end up with 4 chicks hatching about 1 1/2 weeks ago. Good luck!
smile.png

Day three: Tango, my year old cuckoo marans, is a glued pancake on 7 eggs I got off of Ebay. She is eating and drinking, although I haven't witnessed her doing it. She seems calm and happy, so I am hopeful.

News: My blue minorca hen is just as broody as Tango. I have decided to get her some eggs to hatch as well. So far I have ordered 3+ silver laced wyandottes and hope to get 4+ golden laced standard cochins. My kids are as excited as I am and tomorrow I will set up my minorca hen in a dog crate in the garage.

I am planning on candling later in the week. I am really loving all your posts with pics!!!

Hi, I just wanted to update on my broody's egg development. Tonight I candled (day 7) . I didn't get to do all of the eggs because she was getting pretty agitated and the warning pecks turned into 'bite and twist'...ouch.
Austrailian spotted bantam ducks=nice veining seen on all three!
clap.gif

Buff orps=not looking so good...didn't really see the veining like I did on the duck eggs...plus I think I was seeing a blood ring on one.
sad.png

cochin bantams=UGH, hard to say...I think I saw faint veining on one, but the next one I couldn't see anything at all.
barnie.gif
By that point, Agnes was really biting me hard so I quit.

Back
Top Bottom