Broodies on eggs? Broodies with babies? Post here.

I used to have an awesome broody hen. She hatched 3 clutches a year. She was sweet, and would let you pet, feed, and handle her while brooding. She would make quiet coos, to any person. And never leave the nest until her eggs would hatch. We would have to be careful though, cause by the time they hatched she would be very sickly. Even with our feeding and watering, her legs would be very stiff and she would fall alot and cry when she walked for the first day or so. She would quietly take her babies around the farm, and show them off to people. Sadly her and my other 6 Brahma hens disappeared one day. Leaving only my roo and 3 chicks behind. She is greatly missed. Happily one of our BO turned broody yesterday. So we will once again have babies running around. She is much more agressive though. If you get within 10ft of her, she screams, and puffs up. We 'attempted' to check her eggs at night to count. And she bit about 15 times. Oh well, maybe she will come around and chill out. Although I don't think she can ever replace our Brahma Mama. I also have 20 mail order chicks growing, and 25 more on the way april 6th, and a batch of eggs in the bator. So lots of babies yay!

I candled sat. and have 7 chicks developing well!
celebrate.gif

They are due March 14, so wish us luck!
fl.gif

Well, Well, Well,..........
Good luck with the duckies they are sooooo cute
love.gif

Sorry to hear about the missing momma & company.
hit.gif
I feel your pain. Just be sure to protect the new babies that are on the way and whoever you have left.
fl.gif

And finally good luck to everyone who is expecting. Keep the stories comming and pics too.
thumbsup.gif

My broody Silkie hen had 8 eggs under her and I thought they were due to hatch tomorrow (3/11), but when I went to check on her today I found four new chicks. She has four more eggs yet to hatch. This hen has been a great broody and I hope she'll make a great mother, too. The chicks are white Silkies and are tiny. I only got a picture of one of the chicks.

15021_dscn0116.jpg

Im new to this experience as is my hen. My first-time mama is broody on three eggs. She has not left the nest for a couple of days. I am a little worried about her but after reading all the posts on this thread Im going to try to just let her be.

What I am wondering is, once this is over and she either hatches the eggs or the eggs turn out to be not good, when does she return to normal laying procedures?
If the babies do hatch, does that prolong her period of not laying eggs? If so, for how long...

Ok well the way the broody thing is set up we put chiken wire on the out side of the nesting boxes. Are boxes are have dividers that can be puled out in the back. So we puled out like 2 or three and put up chicken wire so the other chickens cant get in it. Well wen i went out to the coop to day she (Pearl the broody hen) was trying to get out of the nest! So i let her out and she would not poop in the other 2 boxes that she can go into. So she pooped a HUMUNGAS poo! LOL And i looked at the eggs and she ate one of her brown eggs!! And she had food and water witch she hase been eating. And she had the other brown egg stuke to her but fethers! So i had puled that off and she did not eat or drink just pooed! And she got back in the nest! LOL. But the other eggs got some egg youlk on them. So can i whipe them off when i candel to night? And how meny times a day do i let her out to poo. I know she needs space to walk and stuff and she dose. She just will not poop in it! LOL

she is in the 3 boxes to the left on the botem:

20382_jan31_110.jpg

Chicken Girl

Quote:
Someone asked a similar question earlier in this thread. If the chicks hatch, it varies for each bird. They will care for the chicks for a few weeks or more and then go back to laying.
As for if the eggs don't hatch? Well, I don't know. I have read about ways to "un-broody" your hen. I think she will keep sitting until she gets chicks otherwise.

Hope you get some more qualified persons answering this question. I will certainly post when my broody decides to lay again.

I Just Candelled!! And out of 9 eggs= 2, white/frizzle cochin and buff cochin eggs, and 7, white leghorn and buff cochin eggs= 1 white/frizzle cochin egg was eaten the other i think is infertal. 7 white leghorn and buff cochin eggs ALL HAVE BABEYS!!!!! YEAH!!!
thumbsup.gif
woot.gif
ep.gif
celebrate.gif
frow.gif
love.gif
wee.gif
jumpy.gif
bun.gif
fl.gif
lol.png
tongue.png
big_smile.png
smile.png
I AM SO HAPPY!!!! LOL Oh and i re-counted and i think to day is day 8! So just 13 days left!!! YEAH! Oh yeah and thanks you all for you help and good luck!

Chicken Girl

Hey, my red silkie's eggs are hatching!!!!!!!!!!
wee.gif

Here's a pic of her tonight on the nest. We can hear the little peeps and see one egg has started. I will post more pics when I have more.
19064_picture_022.jpg

We're so excited!

Carmel

Back
Top Bottom