Broodies on eggs? Broodies with babies? Post here.

I don't want to hog the thread with all my millions of chick pics, so I put some up here https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=148511&p=1

They are sooo cute! I'm in love
love.gif
with silkies!!

Ok i dont know what day i am on! LOL I think I put the eggs under my broody on the 3. So the should hatch on the 24? So i should have pips on the 23? I have no idea what day it is!!! LOL Pleas HELP!

Chicken Girl

nothing yet with our broody, but shes gotten veeery deffensive, she growls and cluck as soon as the door opens,

so I'm hopng tomorrow to check her for babies or pips

Yay! Our broody serama so far has one chick out and she is clucking quietly at it. It looks to be fathered by our showgirl - not because it got the NN gene but it has a domed silkie head. It's blue so that must mean its mom is (silkie X cochin)X frizzled cochin.

Dang it now how am I gonna sleep...

STILL nothing from our momma yet, but I SWEAR I can hear an itty bitty baby, then again it could just be the loud mouth older chicks, ugh, this is so frustrating

Are you all planning to leave your baby chicks with their momas or are you bringing them in to raise yourself? Is it too cold to let moma raise them in the coop?

Mine is already in the house - but actually was planning on taking them outside to the coop. From what I have read the mom will keep them warm. It not like summer here but I think the worst of winter has passed. (knocking on wood)

I pulled the baby out to llok at it in daylight. One other egg is almost zipped. The baby is soooooo flippin cute I wanna squeeze it! It is grey on top with a white underbelly and wingtips. It's definately got silkie poof on its head too. I'll get some pics later after everyone hatches. Was really cute to see mom roll him back under her like he was still an egg.

Well...almost a week and a half ago I posted pictures of my red cochin bantam and her babies and now...I have a blue old english gamehen bantam sitting on a nest of ten eggs. I am imagining about 10-12 more days and she will be hatching them out. She is snarly if I even try to pet her!!! (is that the game hen in her?) YIKES! Her feathers totally ruffle up and she growls...I know...hard to imagine a growl from a chicken but she did! She mated with an Old English bantam with some silkie in him. Should be interesting babies!
smile.png

Quote:
My first broody hatched 4 chicks 5 weeks ago, and we have had a lot of bad, cold weather(below freezing) and she did great! She seemed to know how long they could be out from under her, and even now at 5 weeks they get up under her wings when it gets cold. It was great fun to watch them climb onto her back as youngsters and ride around on her!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom