Broodies taking in chicks

I'm not the OP, but I can think of a few reasons:

--broody provides warmth for the chicks, which might be needed if the weather is really cold, or if the chicks are feathering slowly

--introducing the chicks to the rest of the flock (The broody could make this easier or harder, depending on the coop setup and how the other chickens react to the chicks.)

--makes the hen quit being broody

--person enjoys seeing hen with chicks

Of course, all of those things can be accomplished in other ways too. But I don't see any problem with having the broody hen adopt older chicks, if the person wants to, and if the hen & chicks cooperate.
But would it work.with 4 week old chicks? I guess helping introduce to the rest of the flock would but I didnt realize that 4 week old still need warmth or that it could stop a hen from being broody. At that age my chicks are already roosting with the big girls and running around the run with everyone. I csntimagine them staying with a broody let alone fitting under her

But would it work.with 4 week old chicks? I guess helping introduce to the rest of the flock would but I didnt realize that 4 week old still need warmth or that it could stop a hen from being broody. At that age my chicks are already roosting with the big girls and running around the run with everyone. I csntimagine them staying with a broody let alone fitting under her

I have seen 4 week old chicks that looked nearly naked, because they were slow-feathering. So yes, some might need warmth, at some outdoor temperatures.

I've seen chicks sleep under a hen when they were more than 4 weeks old. Depending on how many chicks, it can get pretty crowded under there, but some can fit.

I have also seen a hen sleep on a perch with her wings spread to cover a chick or two on each side. That would provide a little more warmth or shelter for the chicks.

Of course every hen is different, and I have read of some hens that left the chicks to fend for themselves from age 3 weeks, but I have also seen a hen that was still mothering her chicks well past 8 weeks. They hung out together in the daytime, slept in a row on the perch at night, and the hen made sure no other chickens got too close.

I assume the chicks would stop the hen from being broody, because she cannot sit on a nest if she is walking around doing things with the chicks.

How does having the chicks stop the hen from being broody? How long does it take to make the hen get up off the nest after tucking the chicks in with her?

How does having the chicks stop the hen from being broody? How long does it take to make the hen get up off the nest after tucking the chicks in with her?

A hen would naturally stop sitting on eggs (broody) and change to caring for the chicks after they hatch. When you give chicks to a broody hen, the same thing happens.

The times I have given chicks to a hen, I tucked them under her at night.

She stayed on the nest, with the chicks under her, most of the next day and all of the next night. (She might get up to eat on occasion, and the chicks might pop out to eat and then go back under her. I made sure food and water were really close to the nest for that day.)

The day after that (second day with chicks) the hen would move to the food, and the water, and any other places she thought the chicks should go.

Because I gave her very young chicks, they would sometimes peep and snuggle under the hen to get warm again, so she would sit down and warm them wherever she happened to be at the time. This happened more often in colder weather, less in warmer weather, and also less as the chicks got older. (Several different occasions, different hens, different seasons of the year.)

Back
Top Bottom