Brooding and hatching eggs

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by tim sommers, Oct 17, 2016.

1. tim sommers

tim sommers Just Hatched

Oct 17, 2016
    I see a lot of terms that I do not know. What is brooding? When will my guineas lay eggs. They are 12 weeks old and I hope male and female. Do I collect the eggs and put them under a heat lamp at a certain temp? A see humidity is also a concern.

2. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    Brooding is the act of the hen sitting on the eggs until they hatch. A brooder is a container that is designed to raise the newly hatched keets in a controlled environment.

Incubators are designed to incubate and hatch eggs. Hatching eggs under a heat lamp is only worth trying in an emergency situation. Eggs need to be turned on a regular schedule to keep the developing embryo from getting stuck to the shell. Trying to control the humidity and drafts under a heat lamp is a lesson in futility.

For terms that you do not understand, use one of the many internet dictionaries.

3. pearlGuinea

pearlGuinea Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2016
    Arkansas
    Welcome to BYC! Brooding is caring for baby poultry after they hatch (giving them heat, water, food, etc.) Guineas lay May through September, so yours should start laying next spring. Eggs need a temperature of 99.5 degrees and about 60 precent humidity. Hope this helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by