Brooding cages

Dan Clark

Chirping
Jul 20, 2020
So after raising my first batch of quail I have decided they are little poop monsters .....they never stop and that means I have to change the paper like every others day or every day. Wha I would like to do is build a bird cage for them for the first 3 weeks of there life that allows me to clean up waste easily, they won’t be walking in it, built in food and water. Anyone have there own cages that they built that I can use as a template. This will only be for babies for first few weeks of life

Just be sure to keep the wire super clean as dried poop can become sharp and cause bumblefoot.

I use straw in my brooders and it works well. The poop falls through the straw so they aren't walking in it. I don't like pine shavings as they are too messy.

Damn there expensive 100-300 only need something to put them in for a few weeks till they get put out in big hutch with their moms and dad

Might make something like this but with legs and slot for tray. And wire bottom 0A26C63B-1FDF-429D-B019-20041FE35DB2.jpeg

I built a brooder from Terry’s design on YouTube Coturnix Corner and it is working great for the 36 one week olds I have in there now. It has trays that catch the poop and I have pine shavings that I got for free from a cabinet maker lining the tray.

Back
Top Bottom