brooding chickens

denise62

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 30, 2015
i had one brooding hen now i have 3 this has been going on for 3 weeks i have removed them from the boxes every morning and evening around 4. but i cant stop the brooding how long does it last and what else can i do to stop it. suggestion please ty

how long does it last
That depends on the hen.
If you don't do anything, some give up in less than 3 weeks, some keep it up for 6 weeks or longer.

and what else can i do to stop it.
Putting her in a wire broody-breaker cage (like in that article that someone just linked) works for many people.

Sometimes just moving the hen to a different place will make her quit being broody. (People usually discover that when they buy a broody hen and bring her home, or when they move a broody hen to another pen because they want her to hatch eggs in the new pen. Sometimes that works as planned, but sometimes the hen quits being broody and the person gets frustrated.)

That depends on the hen.
If you don't do anything, some give up in less than 3 weeks, some keep it up for 6 weeks or longer.

Putting her in a wire broody-breaker cage (like in that article that someone just linked) works for many people.

Sometimes just moving the hen to a different place will make her quit being broody. (People usually discover that when they buy a broody hen and bring her home, or when they move a broody hen to another pen because they want her to hatch eggs in the new pen. Sometimes that works as planned, but sometimes the hen quits being broody and the person gets frustrated.)
i have a separate area for when i bring home new hens to keep the separate for awhile maybe i can put them in there with no box for a few days maybe that would work

what happens if i just leave them be will they stop on there own ??
Most hens will stop eventually. But "eventually" can sometimes be longer than you want to wait.

i have a separate area for when i bring home new hens to keep the separate for awhile maybe i can put them in there with no box for a few days maybe that would work
Yes, you could try that. It might work or it might not, but if it does work you will have the problem solved.

Back
Top Bottom