Brooding different ages together? Okay?

Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex

Songster
10 Years
Apr 30, 2009
Rogue Valley, S. Oregon
In a few weeks I am getting TWO shipments of chicks (Hi, I'm Tam'ra, and I am a chicken addict.) but due to circumstances beyond my control, They will be about 6 days apart in age. There will be 48 in all (I must be mad!) and I was planning to brood the lot of them together in my greenhouse. It's a 10 x 20' room where they will have free run of 90% of the floor and a large brooder box with a heat lamp in one corner. There is currently grass growing on the floor and I have a 7 gallon waterer and a 20lb feeder to put in there. The dogs patrol the yard outside, and by the time the chicks arrive I will have the window vents installed so predators, overheating, and humidity will not be a problem.

The only potential problem is the chicks themselves. Will the 23 older ones pick on the 25 younger ones? The older ones will be straight run buff orps, speckled sussex, and red broilers. They will have lots of space and things to eat... Will it help? Or am I setting myself up for disaster?

I agree. I am new to having chicks, and we ended up with 6 older chicks appox. 3 weeks or so, with 2 tiny bantams that were only a few days old. They have been mingling and have not seen anything that would suggest picking on a smaller one. The smaller ones even ride on the bigger ones backs.

I have chicks ranging from 2 weeks down to a couple of days. I don't have a problem with them. They all get along great, except for one ofmy golden comets, but she picks at everyone equally:) Mine are Golden comets(4), Tetra tints (2), Brahmas(2), and Americaunas(9).

You appear to have plenty of room, so it shouldn't be a problem at all!
smile.png

Right now in one brooder I have chicks that are almost 4 weeks old some that are 3 weeks old and some that are 2 weeks and some of those are bantams. They all get along fine. my 4 week olds are roos and one my DD calls cuddle bug cause he likes to cuddle with the smaller ones. The only problem I have had and not really a problem is with jumping. Sometimes the older ones get a little crazy and jump but usually the little ones get out of the way.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom