Brooding Ducklings

callnfowl

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 1, 2013
I just hatched 7 sweet little ducklings in my incubator. All are well and currently inside in a brooder. Two questions: 1) When will they be old enough to move outside without a light at night (I'm in Tucson, so we are around 100 degrees in the day time, and 70 degrees at night)? 2) I'd like to put the duckings with an older Pekin I have who has hatched and raised ducklings in the past. She does not have babies now, nor is she broody. Any experience putting ducklings with a non-brooding duck?

Thank you for your help. I have always hatched my duckling under my broody hen, who does a lovely job of raising. She's got chicks now though, so I am on my own.

Hi, not sure on the first bit as I only do Celsius! Im in the uk and temps are usually a little low to put them out too early; I usually wait a few weeks till they've got most of their feathers.
That said it all depends! As you have 7 they will be able to snuggle for warmth, it sounds warm enough anyway tho they may need a heat lamp at night (not something I would want to do here in the UK with all the rain!).

For point 2 - I'd be very careful putting them with a big duck at such a young age. Even if she seems ok with them! It would be very easy for her to accidentally kill some even without the added complication of her turning nasty with them.
- I have some very good natured birds, there are 2 ducklings running round with them all day; but this is under mothers supervision (she is a nutcase) in a yard with plenty of bolt holes for them - and even now the other ducks will attack the ducklings if they get chance.

Of course it could be that she'll accept them and look after them - Just be very very careful if you go down that route, and watch for any signs of jealousy or aggression (chattering beak, ruffled feathers, jacobs ladder style head shaking(!), belly flopping/chesting etc)

As you can probably tell I'd give it a couple of weeks till they are a bit bigger, but a few supervised visits before that (starting with just being able to see each other) would be helpful too.

Either way you do it I wish you all the best :)

Back
Top Bottom