Duckling wheezing.

Hopefully she didn't what are they saying about the duckling is it dying? or just has a little wheezing? I wish you could get them to you. Where you can monitor what is going on.
She seems pretty stable. Just a slight wheezing that I can barely hear. From the video. I’m checking in with them first thing in the morning.

If it has been done 4 times already these children are not responsible to be caring for live creatures. They might do something else next that is not good for them. They are not toys! I'm sorry but this is so sad and I hate it when people give live animals to teach children responsibilities at the animals expense. You can care for them better than the care they have been getting. Possibly give them some probiotics and a good home.
Ok finally found your full reply. I had to keep refreshing the page. So this is the story.
My former boss knows I have a goose, two ducks that I rescued from an abusive situation(they are doing great except some leg weakness which has improved greatly) and 12 chickens. He said his youngest son wanted ducklings. He said we will raise them for 6 weeks then I want to get rid of them. Will you take them? I agreed. Didn’t necessarily want more ducks as they are so messy but I wanted them to end up in a good home. They had been doing what appears to be a good job. Clean water and pen and good food. Some outdoor time and tub swims. But this last week the dad decides they should get bubble baths. He gave them a total of four baths and then they reached out and told me that one of them was wheezing. And what should they do. When I found out about the bubble baths I said stop immediately. I told them she could have aspirated….. they said well dawn is duck safe. I said maybe for oil spill ducks but ducks do not need baths. So,it was the dad’s idea. They are bringing them the 17th.

Last edited:
Wow, no, ducks should never be given a bubble bath. That is absolutely awful. Ducks drink the water they swim in. Would not at all be surprised if they drank the soapy water. Not to mention, soap strips ducks of their water-proofing oils and makes them highly susceptible to wet feather / hypothermia.

I agree with others, these people clearly haven’t done their research at all. I would take the ducklings early, too.

Please make it very clear to them that, in the future, dawn is for emergencies. It is to save wildlife, not to clean wildlife. This misconception is far too high..

I hope your duckling makes it.

Ok finally found your full reply. I had to keep refreshing the page. So this is the story.
My former boss knows I have a goose, two ducks that I rescued from an abusive situation(they are doing great except some leg weakness which has improved greatly) and 12 chickens. He said his youngest son wanted ducklings. He said we will raise them for 6 weeks then I want to get rid of them. Will you take them? I agreed. Didn’t necessarily want more ducks as they are so messy but I wanted them to end up in a good home. They had been doing what appears to be a good job. Clean water and pen and good food. Some outdoor time and tub swims. But this last week the dad decides they should get bubble baths. He gave them a total of four baths and then they reached out and told me that one of them was wheezing. And what should they do. When I found out about the bubble baths I said stop immediately. I told them she could have aspirated….. they said well dawn is duck safe. I said maybe for oil spill ducks but ducks do not need baths. So,it was the dad’s idea. They are bringing them the 17th.
I am sorry that this situation has happened and I just pray that the ducks make it. I just felt since you have more experience with animals than they do that they would be a lot safer with you than with the children or Dad that seems to know nothing about them. Ten more days is a long time if this duck is having problems with breathing but hopefully if this is your decision all will go well and it will make it. I just didn't understand why it had to be 6 weeks. I am not sure where they live but if the ducklings are outside and it rains they will get chilled and possibly not make it. Good luck with this situation. I pray that they make it alright.

I am sorry that this situation has happened and I just pray that the ducks make it. I just felt since you have more experience with animals than they do that they would be a lot safer with you than with the children or Dad that seems to know nothing about them. Ten more days is a long time if this duck is having problems with breathing but hopefully if this is your decision all will go well and it will make it. I just didn't understand why it had to be 6 weeks. I am not sure where they live but if the ducklings are outside and it rains they will get chilled and possibly not make it. Good luck with this situation. I pray that they make it alright.
I checked in first thing and they are perfect. Daisy is breathing perfectly. Eating and drinking on their own in a warm pen indoors.
Yes, 6 weeks is random….not sure why they picked that date. My friend said absolutely no more bubble baths and promised me they wouldn’t even let them swim. I appreciate your prayers. They and mine were answered.

M
Wow, no, ducks should never be given a bubble bath. That is absolutely awful. Ducks drink the water they swim in. Would not at all be surprised if they drank the soapy water. Not to mention, soap strips ducks of their water-proofing oils and makes them highly susceptible to wet feather / hypothermia.

I agree with others, these people clearly haven’t done their research at all. I would take the ducklings early, too.

Please make it very clear to them that, in the future, dawn is for emergencies. It is to save wildlife, not to clean wildlife. This misconception is far too high..

Thanks for the warm response. Daisy is perfect this am they are eating and drinking strongly. Her breathing is no longer labored. I really discouraged them from getting ducks and told them to consider getting peeps like they’ve done in the past they’ve gotten eggs and kept the peeps for a month and then the people that bring the eggs come and pick the peeps up.
They promised no more baths or swims and they would keep them in their warm indoor pen till 5/17. They said well it’s Duck safe. And my response is for saving wildlife yes. Also they are capable of preening their own feathers. My rescues preen so much.

Trying to make sure to get back to everyone. She looks good this am. Eating and drinking in an indoor pen with a heat lamp. They will bring them 3/17 and they promised no more dawn or baths.

I just think because the children do not know what they are doing and whoever is supervising them either isnt supervising or does not know how to care for ducklings either so if they were supposed to be my ducks and they got sick because of poor care decisions I would want to take them immediately before anything else happens . Its going to take weeks for them to get their waterproofing oils back into their feathers and in the meantime if they get wet and chilled they can die. If and when you do take them you cant even leave the out in the rain until they are waterproof again.
Miss Jen they are doing great this am. Eating and drinking in a warm pen and breathing appears normal. Thanks for responding.

Back
Top Bottom