Brooding In Plasitc Sterilite Tubs

Pics

jkgreer

In the Brooder
Feb 27, 2020
I have tried to brood a total of 60 chicks (20 at a time) in plastic sterilile tubs, you know... the ones you get at wal mart. All three broods died completeley. I am trying to find out if the plastic is bad for the chicks. On the other hand I have a really crappy Post office that lets the chicks stay overnite before they call me to come pick them up. This was on all three broods. Is it the plastic or is it the fact that the chicks were in the shipping box without food & water for 96 hours (4 days)

It is unusual to lose everything if they all arrived alive.
I'm not too fond of the plastic Tupperware style brooders. They aren't really big enough for more than a few days for 20 chicks. The space can't grow as the chicks grow and I suspect, it was too hot. They only need one small hot spot like with a broody hen and the rest of the space should be cool.
In warm weather I brood the chicks in the coop. In cold weather, I use large cardboard moving boxes from Lowes or HD. They only cost about a dollar or so and you can double or triple them as the chicks get bigger.
If your brooder is in the house, room temperature, you don't really need any elaborate heating system. Depending on the size of the tub, I would say a 75 or 100 watt ceramic heat emitter in a brooder lamp fixture would be plenty. 20 chicks can huddle and keep themselves warm for the most part.
While it won't kill them, 16% chick starter is a bit low. I wouldn't go with less than 18% for baby chicks and I like to start off with about 20% for the first couple weeks. The younger a bird is, the higher protein they need to build their body and immune system.
The amino acid profile of the protein is important as well, but any manufacturer would take that into consideration in their formula.

Last edited:
I have tried to brood a total of 60 chicks (20 at a time) in plastic sterilile tubs, you know... the ones you get at wal mart. All three broods died completeley. I am trying to find out if the plastic is bad for the chicks. On the other hand I have a really crappy Post office that lets the chicks stay overnite before they call me to come pick them up. This was on all three broods. Is it the plastic or is it the fact that the chicks were in the shipping box without food & water for 96 hours (4 days)
Teflon is in many tin cans these days as well as cooking (under various names), toasters, appliances. In tin cans you will see a white lining. My parottlets died (almost instantly in the next room) from me heating mason jar tops that had this white lining in the oven at a very low temperature. Check carefully for hidden sources! Even some heat bulbs have it.

Chicks can go a few days without food or water since they still have the yolk inside them (up to 5 days, max) that's why they can be shipped. Many folks use plastic tubs without issue so maybe there's another factor at play. What do they eat? What's the temperature and how are they heated? Do they have enough cool areas? What's the bedding?
and chance of febreeze, air freshener, carbon monoxide, overheated Teflon pans?

This the heater that I use. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph_o9qNwb90
I can adjust the heat with thermostat if 95 is to hot. What is the best temp for brooding?
That's pretty hot, especially for 20 chicks in a small space.
I might have a spot in one end of the brooder that is that high, but they must have lots of cool space.
A mother hen doesn't make all the ambient air 95F. She just provides a warm spot for the chicks to warm up in but most of the day the chicks are running around in the cold. Much more natural and healthier.
I don't think it's your post offices fault, considering that you've lost all 60. If it was, you would not lose that many. I think it's your set up or something in your home. The heater could be releasing fumes or they are just over heating.
Agreed.

I too could not see the Youtube. But if it is forced hot air into a plastic tub, Then the temp would be consistent in the whole tub. Sounds like the heat system to me.
I got the video to play. I am pretty sure sending 95 degree forced hot air into the tub is overheating them. They have no cool spots.

Back
Top Bottom