Brooding my meaties....

Heed the above advice...please!
tongue.png
CX in a closet with the door closed is a recipe for disaster! Poor ventilation and warmth is a good way to kill your birds...these CX aren't like other chicks and don't require nor thrive on the same amount of heat. If you open the closet door you will not be able to live in your home...the smell is really THAT bad. Also....have you seen the size of 3 week old meaties? No storage container that would fit in a closet would possibly contain 12 of these birds at 3 wks. of age...or even 2 weeks.

Your best bet is somewhere with very good ventilation, a brood lamp that isn't too close to your chick floor....just watch how they sleep, if you see piling just move it closer. These birds overheat quickly and will die of heat exhaustion even as little chicks, so watch also for laying about and panting, not eating or drinking. If these birds ain't eatin, they are stressed!
tongue.png

Just follow this link and take a look at Post #30 for a gander at what size your chicks will be at 3 weeks and this should give you an idea of the size of brooder you will need. Actually, you can read the whole thread and it may give you a little insight into their growth rate from the beginning so you will know what to expect.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=325493&p=3

I have excellent ventilation for mine in the bathroom and the temperature they seem to enjoy is 82 to 88 degrees, not 95 as I've read so often. In fact, I can't get my brooder anywhere near 95 because I'm not using a heat lamp, but rather an outdoor red flood lamp bulb which seems to provides enough heat to keep them from chilling and clustering to stay warm. One has to ask ones self, if the chicks can make it on a two day 2,000 mile journey without heat, why in the world would they need to be "roasted" upon arrival at your house. I'm nearly finished with my permanent space for my birds, so they might have another day or two in a brooder but after that, it's wide open spaces. They seem to be really healthy and very active at this point. I will have a warm place for them to gather, but they will have a lot of free space to roam and then it's access to outdoors as soon as this rain stops.

I agree, Dan. The quicker they get used to normal, environmental temps, the quicker they feather out and I think they eat better when they are cooler. Of course, mine were under a broody in an outside brooder pen with plenty of breezy, open ventilation, so mine were sort of heat regulated the old fashioned way....get cold? Huddle under mama!
tongue.png

Quote:
X2 glad you said it first.............. these birds taste the greatest but stink the worst........... I would really look for another solution if at all possible, you'll be kicking yourself in the head if you don't. I am sure the house chicken folks will encourage the indoor practice but they don't raise meaties and they are already use to their houses stinking to high heaven. If your married and want to stay married LOL move them outside in 2 weeks and not a moment later.

Ok you have convinced me!!! I'm clearing space in the horse trailer for the storage containers tomorrow. They will stay in there for 2 weeks then go out into the run.

I have 2 bantam hens that look like they are getting ready to go broody....they might get a few hens.

Quote:
Now yer talkin.............. great idea.......... it's protected, you can heat it, plenty of space, plenty of fresh air, and easy to care for. Good thinking and I am sure you will be much better off as will the birds.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom