Brooding outside?!

May 27, 2019
Smithville, MO
i have a barred pullet that has been nesting outside. My chickens free range during the day and are locked in the coop at night. This pullet has been missing at least 4 hours each day and hasn’t been laying eggs in the coop for the last 3 weeks give it take. I finally found her spot. I haven’t candled the eggs yet because she’s on them. Will the eggs hatch if they are only sat on during the day?

Attachments

• 9A90CA6E-E5B0-429A-98CD-DD70E98B50A7.jpeg
    9A90CA6E-E5B0-429A-98CD-DD70E98B50A7.jpeg
    446.5 KB · Views: 8
She may just be taking her time while laying and nesting. A broody hen wouldn't go back to the coop to roost at night, she would stay with the eggs so it's unlikely that there is much, if any development in the eggs. Typically you will see a broody hen get up 2-3 times a day for about 10-15 minutes in order to eat, drink, and potty, she will otherwise stay on the eggs 100% of the time and will also stop laying new eggs.

She may just be taking her time while laying and nesting. A broody hen wouldn't go back to the coop to roost at night, she would stay with the eggs so it's unlikely that there is much, if any development in the eggs. Typically you will see a broody hen get up 2-3 times a day for about 10-15 minutes in order to eat, drink, and potty, she will otherwise stay on the eggs 100% of the time and will also stop laying new eggs.
I’ll let you know what the eggs look like when she gets up. Lol

She's been hiding them for a while it appears! :lau I just recently found a hidden nest in our fire pit under a ton of twigs and branches we were going to burn. There was a tunnel through them to the bottom where they were laying eggs, haha, I guess I wasn't using the fire pit enough.
View attachment 1924792
And I thought she was a slacker on laying. Lol. That’s impressive! Sounds like you need to enjoy the fall!

We went on vacation to Savannah at the beginning of May. LOVED IT. It was a little warm. Lol

That's where I live...it's beautiful, the plants love it, chickens love it, bugs love it...I like looking at it from inside air conditioned buildings. :lau
We should start seeing more manageable temps soon! ... hopefully. Lol :rolleyes::fl

Back
Top Bottom