Pics

IdyllwildAcres

Crowing
7 Years
Sep 3, 2016
In the mountains of Southern California
My Coop
My Coop
My Blue Americauna just spent the night in the nest box, she is acting broody again I wish it would have started a week ago I would feel better about the chances of her adopting the 5 chicks due to arrive in a week, 6 days now... She laid an egg yesterday so I know she is not full on broody yet. This morning I made her a nest in the brooder, put two wood eggs in it filled up the food and water and took her off the nest and popped her in the brooder. When I left for work a half hour later she had not settled on the new nest, she did however poop a huge broody bomb:sick and seems distressed to be out of the nest box. I would really like her to raise the babies, what are the odds of success here? Should I keep her locked in the brooder or let her use the nestbox and slip chicks under next week? I would rather her and the chicks be in the brooder than nest box. Am I wasting my time here?:idunno @aart ? Anyone?

Thanks

gary

It is possible ...... Moving her might be enuf to break the broodiness tho. Resuming broodiness in the coop might work, but what is her place in the pecking order? Everything is so very tentative right now....I'm following to see what happens.
Good luck!

I'd leave her be in the brooder, see if she settles...it can take a full day.
Does she have a cozy nest, similar to the one she started in?
If she does settle in tight again...a week of broodiness may be enough, or it may not.
It's worth a shot IMO.
If she doesn't accept the chicks, toss her in the broody buster.
How many chicks are arriving?

Hi Gary. :frow

I still remember when you were getting your first chicks... Yay, your blue (actual) AMERAUCANA! :wee

Put her back where she was and IF you want to move her... do it at the same time you tuck the chicks in.

My broody's are ALWAYS very upset if I move their unhatched nest. But if I move them once the chicks are hatched she will stay at least until everyone can make it back to her original nest choice. Which by then they go out all day so occupying from others isn't as much of an issue if you decide to let her go back.

One week is plenty of time for a broody gal in my experience. Of course each situation will be different. :pop

I don't tuck shipped chicks in until I KNOW they are thriving... up to 6 days old but not really past that, otherwise the chicks don't pay attention to mums clucks. They have to spend some time getting to know each other's voices. :fl

:jumpy :jumpy

I'd leave her be in the brooder, see if she settles...it can take a full day.
Does she have a cozy nest, similar to the one she started in?
If she does settle in tight again...a week of broodiness may be enough, or it may not.
It's worth a shot IMO.
If she doesn't accept the chicks, toss her in the broody buster.
How many chicks are arriving?

Her new nest is more cozy, she was in the roll out nest box that is just dense carpet now she has lots of nesting materials, hay and wood flakes. I made a bowl out of it and put the fake eggs in it.

I am getting 5 chicks next Tuesday, likely, they are being shipped Monday from Meyers last year they arrived Tuesday.

Gary

I don't tuck shipped chicks in until I KNOW they are thriving... up to 6 days old but not really past that, otherwise the chicks don't pay attention to mums clucks. They have to spend some time getting to know each other's voices
6 days. really?!?!
That goes against everything I have read.
Younger the chicks the better they will shelter under a hen.

Hi Gary. :frow

I still remember when you were getting your first chicks... Yay, your blue (actual) AMERAUCANA! :wee

Put her back where she was and IF you want to move her... do it at the same time you tuck the chicks in.

My broody's are ALWAYS very upset if I move their unhatched nest. But if I move them once the chicks are hatched she will stay at least until everyone can make it back to her original nest choice. Which by then they go out all day so occupying from others isn't as much of an issue if you decide to let her go back.

One week is plenty of time for a broody gal in my experience. Of course each situation will be different. :pop

I don't tuck shipped chicks in until I KNOW they are thriving... up to 6 days old but not really past that, otherwise the chicks don't pay attention to mums clucks. They have to spend some time getting to know each other's voices. :fl

:jumpy :jumpy

I am going to leave her in the Brooder, I do not want her in the roll out box for a week. I am hoping it all works out but prepared either way.

Gary

6 days. really?!?!
That goes against everything I have read.
Younger the chicks the better they will shelter under a hen.
Yes, younger IS better.

6 days is a worse case scenario and the LATEST I have been successful or would even try. My LFS (one of them) won't release any of their chicks until day 5. So if we are using them it's the end of that day before they get tucked.

Shipped chicks RARELY arrive here before day 3. I wan't them eating and drinking before tucked under mum... because if she happens to wait another 3 before taking them out.. or whatever the case. My shipping route is usually pretty harsh. But yes, if they appear thriving at arrival... at the end of the first day would be when tucked.

For me moving a hen to another nest is AS GOOD as a breaker... before chicks are actively moving and peeping.

Hope your babies arrive loud and hungry! What breeds are ya expecting? Did your vacation rental egg collection thing work out well?

I am getting 5 chicks next Tuesday, likely, they are being shipped Monday from Meyers last year they arrived Tuesday.
That's awesome!

This year I got my best shipment so far... and it was from Meyer's. :thumbsup I think I only lost 2 out of 16 chicks. One DOA and the other just after their 48 hour guarantee. Since hatching my own chicks it gives me new appreciation and understanding of chick vitality. It's pretty amazing how many chicks get shipped every week AND survive!

That makes sense, I've never grafted shipped chicks onto a broody.
I do move my broodies to the partition area before giving them real eggs tho,
want them good and settled.

I'm keeping the hatch I just did for a local farmette for about a week.
So they can go right into the coop there.
Good thing too as there were a few problems a few that are slow to getting eating and drinking well. I do the same for my own hatches.

Back
Top Bottom