broody adopting hatchery chicks

We have a new problem! The adoption went well and today she took all the babies outside. I enjoyed watching them interact. She is very caring to all of the babies. But now it is dark and she was unable to get them to go inside. So they are all together in the run in a corner.. under her. I'm sure they will be fine tonight as it is a clear night and the run is completly covered and pretator proof. But what about when it rains? How do I help them to get inside? She clearly wanted them to go inside but they wern't fast enough and some took longer to figure out the ramp... so she would end up coming back outside to them and that is where they ultamatly are staying for the night. Does anyone have any ideas how to get them to go in at night?

Chicks can take several days to figure out a ramp that they can walk under or around. Even with a ramp that is blocked so they can't go under you have some time for education. I would move her and the chicks by hand until they all figure it out.

Matt

Last edited:
This is a wonderful thread!! I have a Brahma who may be broody for me and I would love to have her brood some chicks for me either from the feed store or eggs. Did you seperate the Momma and chicks from the rest of the flock? Have they been reintroduced to the flock? Thanks for any info!
smile.png

I loved reading this thread. This is a chicken experience that I am dying to have. I have a cochin hen that went broody this summer but the eggs I got for her didn't hatch. I'm hoping we get to do it again next summer with more success!! I have added banty cochins to my flock so perhaps that will give me a shot as well.

So did you move them in last night? IMO, that's what I'd do. I know you said she was somewhat agressive, so I'm just curious. Is she a barred rock? Congrats on her going broody. None I've mine ever have. What a nice looking chicken family. Thanks for sharing.

Yes momma hen is a barred rock and this is the first time she has gone broody. I actually tried to break her of broodiness at first. Then when I ordered my chicks I thought I would give her a few eggs to hatch out and gave them to her so day 21 would be the same day my chicks would arrive at the feed store. I did seperate her from the flock to a vacant coop with attached run so they can see each other but the other birds from the flock can't hurt them. I'm not really sure if that was the right thing to do. I was worried that the other chickens would hurt the babies. I probably won't let them mingle totally with the rest of the flock until they are looking like adult birds. I'm not sure if that is right thing to do but I have a hard time watching the older birds pick on the younger ones... so I want to wait till they are big enough do defend themselves. Oh yes... I did end up putting them inside by hand last night. I waited till momma hen was sleeping and she was easy to pick up. I put the babies in next and they all bedded down for the night. Tonight I put a light with a 40watt light bulb and hung it over the pop door. They all figured out how to get in except one so I gave it some help. They are all in for the night now safe and sound. I'm loving this experience even though I get worried if i'm doing the right thing. Things always seem to work themselves out in the end. Here is a picture of them all inside.. soooo cute!!!

19308_img_0204.jpg

Thank you to everyone for your advise and encouragement! It's wonderful to know I have experts to help and give advise anytime.. day or night.

Back
Top Bottom