Broody AGAIN!

Waveron

Songster
11 Years
Mar 26, 2008
Idaho
How often does a hen get broody in a year? My hens first cluck this year are out and about on their own and she is sitting on more eggs! I didn't know that chickens hatched more than one clutch a year.

Oh yes. One of my BR hens went broody twice last year. Raised 3 pure BR chicks the first time (unfortanly they were killed in the coon raid last summer) and raised 3 pure RIR chicks this past August.

If she goes broody again I will most definlenty let her set on some eggs.

It depends on the hen. Some go broody more often and more regularly than others. They just do whatever the voices in their heads tell them to do.

If you need the eggs from the hen more than you need additional chicks, you can put her in a wire-bottomed cage set up on blocks or sawhorses for a few days until her broody mood passes. Otherwise, let her do her thing and start knitting more little 4-toed booties.

Depends on the hen, but my Silkies go broody every 3-6 months - they sit, hatch and raise chicks, lay for a few weeks and sit again. As long as she's in good condition, she'll be fine. I love a good broody
love.gif

I'm really excited about more chicks, she did such a great job with the first clutch. I'm a proud mamma, and so is she!
big_smile.png
thumbsup.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom