Broody already?

Lisa L

Songster
May 6, 2020
Walkertown, NC
My bantam cochin has 5 week old chicks and seems to be broody again. She is laying in her nest boxfor most of day not interacting with her chicks anymore. Could it be possible?

My bantam cochin has 5 week old chicks and seems to be broody again. She is laying in her nest boxfor most of day not interacting with her chicks anymore. Could it be possible?
Its totally possible. Broody hens usually abandon their chicks at 4-5 weeks of age. I recommend breaking her though, being broody for too long can cause her to loose a lot of weight.

Its totally possible. Broody hens usually abandon their chicks at 4-5 weeks of age. I recommend breaking her though, being broody for too long can cause her to loose a lot of weight.
Yes... she certainly appears to be...again. I will try to break her this weekend. I'm getting ready to "open the nursery area" so mom and her two chicks can start mingling with the rest of the flock so now is not a good time for her to be broody. Wish me luck and thank you!

Yes... she certainly appears to be...again. I will try to break her this weekend. I'm getting ready to "open the nursery area" so mom and her two chicks can start mingling with the rest of the flock so now is not a good time for her to be broody. Wish me luck and thank you!
Sounds like a plan! Good luck breaking her (it may take quite a while)

Back
Top Bottom