Broody Ameraucana - freaks out in crate

SweetAdelaide

In the Brooder
May 3, 2020
One of our Ameraucanas has been broody for at least three weeks now. We do not have a roo. She will occasionally get off nest to eat/drink and I’ve removed her many times. She’ll go in run a bit and then head back.

I’ve finally just tried a dog crate but she immediately freaked out, spilling food and water, flapping about, squawking, and pushing her head through the holes. I swear she’s going to break her neck.

I’m at a loss as to what do next. I really don’t want to bring her inside or separate as I cannot afford the time and energy to reintroduce.

She's probably panicking because she thinks that her chicks will die without her. Let her return to her nest, and put ice cubes under her. ;)

It's normal for them to be upset (spilled food and water are a very common occurrence). I let them pace and scream and just fix the food and water as needed. I'd only be worried about her sticking her head out while flipping out, so maybe try covering the openings in the crate with chicken wire or taut bird netting, just to ensure she can't do that?

Back
Top Bottom