Broody and molting ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicken Woman, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    [​IMG] Is it weird that my dutch bantie (11 months) would be molting and broody at the same time ? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

IM thinking bout putting some fertile rggs under her. What do you think ?
    She gets really mad when I take the eggs out from under her and tells me about it even pecks at me ![​IMG] [​IMG]

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I truly believe that a molting chicken is a nasty chicken. If she is molting she is probably in a bad mood - wouldn't you be if you started losing all your hair?? [​IMG]

3. Chicken Woman

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    She is losing feathers on head and stomach but no where else. IV"e never had one of mine molt until now so this is a new one.

4. Minx

Minx Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2008
    Western Australia
    If she is broody they lose the feathers underneath giving the impression they are molting but they do not do a complete molt.

Defo put some fetilized eggs under her [​IMG]

5. Chicken Woman

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    IM getting 3 for her tomorrow. They arent banties tho they are Cuckoo Marans. I think she will sit on them as she sits on my RIR"s eggs and squaks at me when I take them. [​IMG]

6. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    They'll brood anybody's eggs, it doesn't matter. They should be fine. One of my dark Cornish hens hatched guinea eggs for last summer, and they take 28 days instead of 21. She raised them beautifully, and now that they're all grown, they still hang around with their chicken mom.

Now I'm waiting to see if they try to mate with chickens in the spring, since they were raised by one.

Yeah, broodies will squawk when you take the eggs. And peck you, too, if you aren't careful, but it doesn't usually hurt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by