Broody and molting ?

Chicken Woman

Incredible Egg
11 Years
Oct 16, 2008
Montana
hu.gif
Is it weird that my dutch bantie (11 months) would be molting and broody at the same time ?
idunno.gif
hu.gif
idunno.gif
hu.gif

IM thinking bout putting some fertile rggs under her. What do you think ?
She gets really mad when I take the eggs out from under her and tells me about it even pecks at me !
pop.gif
caf.gif

She is losing feathers on head and stomach but no where else. IV"e never had one of mine molt until now so this is a new one.

If she is broody they lose the feathers underneath giving the impression they are molting but they do not do a complete molt.

Defo put some fetilized eggs under her
smile.png

IM getting 3 for her tomorrow. They arent banties tho they are Cuckoo Marans. I think she will sit on them as she sits on my RIR"s eggs and squaks at me when I take them.
lau.gif

They'll brood anybody's eggs, it doesn't matter. They should be fine. One of my dark Cornish hens hatched guinea eggs for last summer, and they take 28 days instead of 21. She raised them beautifully, and now that they're all grown, they still hang around with their chicken mom.

Now I'm waiting to see if they try to mate with chickens in the spring, since they were raised by one.

Yeah, broodies will squawk when you take the eggs. And peck you, too, if you aren't careful, but it doesn't usually hurt.

Back
Top Bottom