Broody at 33 weeks?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WineChicks, May 29, 2011.

1. WineChicks

WineChicks Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2010
    Isn't it too soon! She just started laying at 24 weeks. Paprika usually lays an egg, hops out of her nesting box, and sings her loudest egg song for the whole neighborhood. Today, she's been sitting on her egg for about an hour. Can it be true?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Not a bit too soon. I had a pullet turn 7 months old (28 weeks old), lay a couple of eggs, she's been broody ever since. On her second clutch of chicks.

3. Ms.Frizzle

Ms.Frizzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Eh, I'd say give it a day. I have hens who take a little longer in the nesting boxes, but it doesn't mean they've decided to lay. What breed is she?

4. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I've had a few hens who have become broody as soon as they started laying.....foung them hidden about the place on a pile of eggs without even knowing they had come into lay.

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Is she sitting flat, like a pancake? When you approach her, does she puff up and shriek like a banshee? The true test is if she stays in the box overnight, rather than going to roost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by