Broody at 6 months?

I assume from your screen name you are in medical school? So I would think that you are familiar with anatomy and deductive thinking. Handle your birds, and do some googling far a chicken anatomical chart, frequently enough to learn about a chickens anatomy...with practice you should become acquainted with what is 'normal' and be able to spot a problem when it arises.

Most important first off is to check for bugs, look at crop condition and poops, look at eyes / nostrils, and abdomen / vent.

First thing I do with a bird that is that is acting 'off' is isolate them in a wire dog crate set up in the coop for a day or two, make sure they are eating / drinking and see what comes out the other end overnight. I put smaller wire in the bottom of crate and put the tray underneath the crate to catch the poops without them stepping in them.

Check them over real well for mites and/or lice.
Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.
Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).
Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.
Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

I did a little search and found this list https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1083055/chicken-health-chart
that someone typed up and posted. It's pretty thorough and maybe too detailed for a general exam.

Could she be egg-bound? If so, she won't be able to evacuate her bowels, and this is an emergency situation. I saw a thread which explained what to look for, and how to treat this. Hope she is better soon.

So I am starting to wonder if it is mites or lice?? I took my Silkie down from the roost and she ate and drank. Then she proceeded alternate cleaning her feathers under her wings, rubbing her beak side to side on the ground and flapping her wings a few times. She also has slightly dirty feathers under her vent. I watched her poop 3 times and it all looked normal. I do not see anything on her, but it may be difficult to see bugs on her, she is black. I tried wiping the bottom of the roosting bar last night after dark to check for blood smears from mites/lice. I didn't see anything at all. Thoughts? I may start a new thread with a different title.

So I am starting to wonder if it is mites or lice?? I took my Silkie down from the roost and she ate and drank. Then she proceeded alternate cleaning her feathers under her wings, rubbing her beak side to side on the ground and flapping her wings a few times. She also has slightly dirty feathers under her vent. I watched her poop 3 times and it all looked normal. I do not see anything on her, but it may be difficult to see bugs on her, she is black. I tried wiping the bottom of the roosting bar last night after dark to check for blood smears from mites/lice. I didn't see anything at all. Thoughts? I may start a new thread with a different title.
Do silkies have black skin?
If so it might be really hard to see bugs on it...even if you do part the 'feathers' down to the skin.
I have no experience with silkies.

Back
Top Bottom