Broody Australorp Now Mother Hen!!!!!! Lots and Lots of Pics!

Quote:
I bought one of these (or similar) from the GQF website and it does seem to work really well
smile.png

Good luck with your girl! She sounds like an awesome Mama!

Quote:
I haven't got to hatch eggs yet, but everything I've read so far indicates you shouldn't. It seems like most people don't candle any more then every 5 days if that often, and not at all after day 18 or so. That being said you have a broody hen and not an incubater that you have to regulate temp/humidity with so I don't know if the rule of thumb applies. Hopefully someone who's actually done it will chime in soon. I am so jealous!
jumpy.gif

Quote:
Like Kittymomma said, I personally would not candle every day. Candling is mainly done after the 1st week, and after the 2nd week. From approx. day 18 onward, the eggs should be left alone for hatching. You are just looking to see which ones are good to keep and which ones need to be tossed. The good ones should be left under momma to develop properly...she knows what to do.
wink.png
Another thing....the more you handle the eggs, the greater the chances of breaking or cracking some accidentally.
hmm.png

Yup...it's hard to be patient!

I've found that the more I worry and try to interfere with things, the more goes wrong...
roll.png

So how has she been doing with her treats and potty breaks? lol

Well, yesterday had it's drama for sure. I took her out and she ate and ate and ate.

Then she pooped the first "big one" and it had a massive clump of worms in it. So nasty. I was shocked because I take really good care of my birds, and I worm them twice a year...then I remembered...I got her about a week after my last worming.

I'm going to wait until the little ones hatch to worm her, but it's driving me nuts.

Today, I took her outside for her walk, eat, and poop session, and she had big issues with the other hens that were free ranging. Her eggs were inside, but she still did not like seeing them at all. So much chicken drama.

Back
Top Bottom