Broody Australorp Now Mother Hen!!!!!! Lots and Lots of Pics!

Quote:
Don't worry...Melbourne will make it.
smile.png

Layer mash....is that all you have available at the moment?
hmm.png

It's best to start chicks on a Chick Starter feed...it has higher protein, and it's formulated for their needs. Layer mash has lower protein, and higher levels of calcium - which can be bad for the chick's development at this stage. They'll be ok if they have some, but I would try to find chick or gamebird starter as soon as possible.
There are probably plenty of threads on here about what type of feed to give the chicks as they grow...plus, feed bags of chick starter normally have a feeding schedule on them to go by too....

I found that my broody hen would eat the chick starter also. Figured it wouldn't hurt her to get the higher protein since she did lose some weight while broody.

The layer mash is for her. I have a chick feeder filled with chick starter mash for the babies.

The problem was that she was feeding her layer mash to the chicks...BUT, it looks like she's also eating some today.

Preservation Acres!!!!
Wow...it's been awhile. How are Melbourne and her chicks? Do you have more pics of her and the babies on here somewhere that I have been missing?
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom