Broody bantam

Is it common for a broody hen to become a picky eater? I give her tons of snacks throughout the day but she doesn't seem to be eating much of anything at all :(

Its not uncommon. But, I don't really think its them being picky, they just don't eat much at all while they're sitting. They get up once a day to do their business, which usually includes eating, drinking, pooping and maybe a dust bathe and they don't give themselves much time to get that stuff done!

You could give it a try, but....
I've noticed when my hens nest near the food they tend to poop in the nest, getting the eggs all gross. I figure its because they no longer have a need to get up. And its disgusting to have to try and clean that up!

Eww. I didn't even think about that.

We looked at the little ones today and got to see their little feet and and beaks wiggle :)

We tried to get a video of it but it was to dark :(

I'm not sure the little ones have made it. I checked them last night and didn't see any movement in either one. :(

What day are you on? When you get close to the end, its really hard to see any movement. They get so big, there's just not much room in there. When I candle towards the end, usually what I might see is their beaks inside the air cell, but they don't do much wiggling around at that point.

We're on day 13 =(. I couldn't get a picture but they didn't move at all. Maybe they sleep at night? Both of them looked different as well. Although I have seen the eyes on both previously I could not find them last night. Neither have a blood ring but I couldn't make out any veins either.

The smaller one only had the shadow one one half. When I turned it there was no movement in the yolk. It just stuck to one side.The air cell looks to be the right size and intact.

The larger one would roam around the egg when I rotated it. Even though it would float it would not go all the way to the top. If the air cell were not intact I would say that it had ruptured.

Sorry its hard to explain.

Do I wait? Do I remove them? My poor little Beatrix wants to be a mommy so bad but I cant have her sitting forever. I do have some eggs that my EE is sitting on that i could possibly split between the 2 but that would have her sitting for 11 extra days. =(

Back
Top Bottom