???Broody Banty on White Pekin Duck eggs What do I do???

cackleberries

Songster
11 Years
Dec 14, 2008
Arkansas
My lil Banty Hen is having
D.gif
identity issues she has chased big momma duck off here nest and insists on setting the eggs. She has been on the eggs for 5 days. Should I let her alone or move her? Will the ducks hatch? and if they do then what?
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Leave her alone, she'll do just fine. She might freak out the first time the ducklings go into the water, but other than that she should be okay!!

I would have taken her and given her some chicken eggs to set in the first place, but that's just me!

Thats what really surprised me she had her own eggs she was setting (Henny has hatched her own before) then when big momma laid 6 in her clutch Henny abanded hers for the Ducks. Whats up with that???

Maybe she was jealous that the ducks eggs were bigger?
lau.gif
I don't know, that's pretty odd. It could be that her eggs were no good, so she left them. But white pekins aren't supposed to be a broody duck, so I wouldn't even leave the duck eggs there. The duck might go broody, but it's a definite toss-up.

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

My Pekin sets every spring this isn't norm? My hen sets duck eggs and my Pit Bull sleeps with the chickens, the cats eat laying pellets, and the chickens eat cat and dog food. Im beginning to think nothing is NORMAL with my critters
idunno.gif
idunno.gif

I haven't had chickens hatch duck eggs, but many people have. I don't think it matters so much. There are many people on here that incubate chicken and duck eggs together all the time, with no problems.

Back
Top Bottom