Broody call duck information please

Thanks
I kind of wanted Johnny to mate with both boys can I put one boy with her then the other boy so that I get both boys breed with Johnny or will that not work?
Some hens actually develop pair bonds with a particular drake and have higher fertility with him. Others are more promiscuous.

Some hens actually develop pair bonds with a particular drake and have higher fertility with him. Others are more promiscuous.
Okay thanks
Johnny is kind of a loner she likes her friends and spends loads of time with them but where as the boys are always next to each other she will happily be by herself, which makes sense as she spent the first week of her life living purely with us (non of the others we incubated with her hatched and it took us a while to find her friends her age) she is not that friendly with us either though which I thought she would be seeing how bonded she was with us, she is not afraid of us in any way though

Calls are a little more likley to pair up than other domestic ducks, which sometimes makes having more drakes per hen possible.

If she pairs up with one of your drakes it is less likley she and the prefferd drake will allow the other one to mate with her.
Penning her off with her preffered drake is a good option for ensuring you know who is mating with whom. Something to consider there though is, I find that any time ducks have been seperated from each other there is a reintroduction peroid where you may be dealing with them not getting along. They sort of have to re-establish pecking order.
And if she does develop a bond with one drake she will not be happy with the switch.
I have a pair that are bonded and if seperated that call girl screams bloody murder.

Calls are a little more likley to pair up than other domestic ducks, which sometimes makes having more drakes per hen possible.

If she pairs up with one of your drakes it is less likley she and the prefferd drake will allow the other one to mate with her.
Penning her off with her preffered drake is a good option for ensuring you know who is mating with whom. Something to consider there though is, I find that any time ducks have been seperated from each other there is a reintroduction peroid where you may be dealing with them not getting along. They sort of have to re-establish pecking order.
And if she does develop a bond with one drake she will not be happy with the switch.
I have a pair that are bonded and if seperated that call girl screams bloody murder.
Okay
I have always imagined Johnny pairing with one of the boys so I don't really mind
So if she bonds with one boy and she hates being seperated does that mean when she has ducklings will I have to keep her with her pair?
I read you should keep the mum and babys separate from other ducks as the other ducks can/will be mean to the babys.

Okay
I have always imagined Johnny pairing with one of the boys so I don't really mind
So if she bonds with one boy and she hates being seperated does that mean when she has ducklings will I have to keep her with her pair?
I read you should keep the mum and babys separate from other ducks as the other ducks can/will be mean to the babys.
She may not like being seperated from him.. but sometimes it is necessary to protect the ducklings. You just have to watch and see there is no guarantee either way. Sometimes a drake even bother a sitting hen too much trying to get her off the nest and you'll have to kick him out before they even hatch.
Other times drakes are good fathers and protect a hen and her offspring.
🤷🏼‍♀️

In my flock I've had to seperate a mother and her ducklings more often than not.
It can kind of depend on your set up too, how much room they have to spread out and get away from each other etc.
You'll also have to think about your water situation.. you won't want the ducklings to have any water dishes large enough to get in and drown for the first week or so. I have had that happen as well.
And call duckings are so tiny it takes hardware cloth to keep them contained. They can slip right through chicken wire. Or get stuck in it. It's a learning curve figuring out what works best for your situation.
For me it's just best to pen off the mom and ducklings so i have more control over what they have access to.

In my flock I've had to seperate a mother and her ducklings more often than not.
It can kind of depend on your set up too, how much room they have to spread out and get away from each other etc.
You'll also have to think about your water situation.. you won't want the ducklings to have any water dishes large enough to get in and drown for the first week or so. I have had that happen as well.
And call duckings are so tiny it takes hardware cloth to keep them contained. They can slip right through chicken wire. Or get stuck in it. It's a learning curve figuring out what works best for your situation.
For me it's just best to pen off the mom and ducklings so i have more control over what they have access to.
I was planning on separating Johnny and her ducklings so that I can control what the babys have access to

Back
Top Bottom