broody call duck info please

Oct 13, 2023
I am planning on letting my girl call duck, Johnny, go broody next year (2024) it will be her first year laying eggs, she hatched this year on the 26th of May (2023),
My question is will she go broody as it will be her first year?
I have two male calls which we bought when Johnny hatched as nobody else in her clutch hatched (I incubated 17 call eggs) the boys, Buttercup (the alpha male) and Puddle, have never breed before so will they successfully fertilise any eggs that Johnny lays?
Johnny ⬇️
20231016_083115.jpg
20231016_083212.jpg
The black one with the most white on his chest is buttercup and the black one with the least white is puddle

Broodiness is upto the individual bird, I would recommend you use an incubator as call ducklings often have a hard time hatching and need assistance.
I Don't know but what I read was that the mother duck will help the ducklings hatch, I saw a video of a mother call helping her baby hatch but she could have been an experienced mum.

I Don't know but what I read was that the mother duck will help the ducklings hatch, I saw a video of a mother call helping her baby hatch but she could have been an experienced mum.
They will not help the babies hatch, that a myth. They are physically incapable of helping in any meaningful way. I'd recommend reading around this website for information. Many experienced people are here. :]

I just wanted to write to anyone that comes across this more info is always welcome
(I will sometimes come across a thread and see some one has already posted and I don't post anything)

Back
Top Bottom