Call duck acting weird! Help please

Oct 13, 2023
Okay so this morning I let my ducks and chickens out and Johnny my call duck (Johnny is a girl) did not come out I looked in the house and she was sat in her favorite nest box I thought she was felling like laying and egg or she was feeling broody so I left her be and came back after doing the horses and she was out but acting weird, she was drinking the clean water but not swimming (which is weird) and she was not eating (she still has not eaten) so me and my mum caught her which was easy and she had a really mucky belly and a really mucky bottom and she did not quack!!!!!! She is a call duck and she always quacks! So we brought her to the house and we were going to put her in a little run next to the house, I put her in some hose water and then put her in a rabbit cage whilst we set up the run when we came back she was shivering so I put a heat lamp over her and set up a cage in our carport with the heat lamp over it
I have given her a bath with warm water to clean her and her vent has dried poo around it, she also has not cleaned herself
She does not like the area around her vent or her vent being touched

Just to narrow it down on what her symptoms are here is a list
Not eating
Not cleaning
black, grey and white poo/diarrhoea
Not quacking or making any noise
not doing much

Is she egg bound? Or trying to go broody? Or some else??
thank you for your help

Last edited:
Here is one of her poos
20240310_140727.jpg

I just checked her temp and she is normal she was shivering again though
But when my mum was putting the thermometer up her bottom she thought she felt something when she first went in an egg maybe

Edit: the thing that my mum felt when she put the thermometer in is not an egg because she is pooing and I read that when they have and egg close to the exit it blocks them from pooing

Last edited:
We have moved her inside for the night
She is on a plug in heat pad with ripped up newspaper as bedding
I sat with her for 20 minutes whilst she was in a warm bath, she put her beak on my hand and I rubbed her beak and she almost fell asleep but after I took her out she was a bit waterlogged so it goes with her not cleaning
If she is not better tomorrow then we will take her to our vet
Thank you if you help Johnny is my baby and I love her so much, I raised her from an egg, I helped her hatch and I spent the first week being all she had (other than my little sister my mum and dad) as nobody else hatched and it took a while for us to find her some friends
I still don't fully know what is wrong with her but I know that she is not acting right
More help is much appreciated

Back
Top Bottom