Call duck acting weird! Help please

Let us know what the vet has to say please.
Okay so, we called the vet but the bird vet is not in today so we have an appointment for tomorrow but our normal vet said give her some pain relief (we run a hedgehog rescue so we have lots of meds) but then she seemed to have a bad reaction to it but then was okay but it freaked me out.
So I will tell you what the vet says tomorrow

So got up this morning and my poor baby Johnny is the same as yesterday so we will take her to the vet today to see if they can help

Just going to tag some people that might be able to help
@shawluvsbirds @nuthatched @sourland @New duck mommy 2021 @Miss Lydia @GirlsHuntToo @Eggcessive @chickensinnv @SmiYa0126 @WaterfowlsPoultry
Thank you
Hello! I used to have a call duck named Patitas, She used to have this type of thing where she was mostly dirty, Never quacked, and sometimes refused to eat, I usually gave her some calcium and electrolytes and she went back to normal, and I would recommend (Unless your vet says otherwise) To put some electrolytes in her water, Another reason why she might not be swimming is that she might be a bit scared of doing so, I used to shower her with water back when we first got her and she grew to hate water because I would randomly do it I wish i did not do that and let her go in water whenever she wanted to, She would drink it yes, But she would not jump in it unless I put her in it. I have another duck who will go swim in water whenever she pleases to, Another factor might be that she may be getting picked on (Highly likely) or she is lonely for a mate (Highly unlikely but still a possibility) I had a rooster who would try fighting her because she was just small this made her scared to eat or drink because she thought she would be attacked (Our rooster is very territorial over food), We separated them by keeping Patitas inside for a few days and when we put her back down the rooster no longer bothered her, If you keep any birds with her I would check if any are picking on her, I would also recommend putting up a camera in her coop to see how shes doing. She may be experiencing common sicknesses in call ducks because they are very fragile to illnesses and need a lot of tending to so once again I recommend putting some electrolytes in her water, and Feeding her more calcium in case she is egg-bound. Some pictures of how Johnny looks may help :)

Hello! I used to have a call duck named Patitas, She used to have this type of thing where she was mostly dirty, Never quacked, and sometimes refused to eat, I usually gave her some calcium and electrolytes and she went back to normal, and I would recommend (Unless your vet says otherwise) To put some electrolytes in her water, Another reason why she might not be swimming is that she might be a bit scared of doing so, I used to shower her with water back when we first got her and she grew to hate water because I would randomly do it I wish i did not do that and let her go in water whenever she wanted to, She would drink it yes, But she would not jump in it unless I put her in it. I have another duck who will go swim in water whenever she pleases to, Another factor might be that she may be getting picked on (Highly likely) or she is lonely for a mate (Highly unlikely but still a possibility) I had a rooster who would try fighting her because she was just small this made her scared to eat or drink because she thought she would be attacked (Our rooster is very territorial over food), We separated them by keeping Patitas inside for a few days and when we put her back down the rooster no longer bothered her, If you keep any birds with her I would check if any are picking on her, I would also recommend putting up a camera in her coop to see how shes doing. She may be experiencing common sicknesses in call ducks because they are very fragile to illnesses and need a lot of tending to so once again I recommend putting some electrolytes in her water, and Feeding her more calcium in case she is egg-bound. Some pictures of how Johnny looks may help :)
Johnny lives with her 2 adopted call duck brothers, she seems to have paired with one, 4 old khaki cambles, 4 brahma hens and 2 brahma cockells
I feed them in different places so the ducks don't get picked on by the cockells and there is are lots of water places so they don't have to fight over it
I don't think she is getting picked on because I have watched my birds and hey all get on fine
She normally loves to swim
I am feeding her calcium and I put electrolytes in her water and she quite liked the taste
I will get some pictures of her for you
Thank you

So got up this morning and my poor baby Johnny is the same as yesterday so we will take her to the vet today to see if they can help

Just going to tag some people that might be able to help
@shawluvsbirds @nuthatched @sourland @New duck mommy 2021 @Miss Lydia @GirlsHuntToo @Eggcessive @chickensinnv @SmiYa0126 @WaterfowlsPoultry
Thank you
be sure to pick up some calcium Gluconate it is the best for getting an egg moving
How old is Johnny. Has she laid egg before?
I am glad to hear you can take her to the vet. Please let us know what the vet thinks.

be sure to pick up some calcium Gluconate it is the best for getting an egg moving
How old is Johnny. Has she laid egg before?
I am glad to hear you can take her to the vet. Please let us know what the vet thinks.
We have a calcium supplement that we are giving her
Johnny is 9 months old she will be a year on the 26th of May
She has layed 2 tiny eggs and last Friday she layed a normal sized egg
I will let you know what the vet says, we have an appointment for 10:30 tomorrow morning
Have you tried making her feed soupy with warm water? Just start with a little in case she won't try it but if she is drinking she may try drinking the soup.
No I have not tried that but I will, thanks

Johnny lives with her 2 adopted call duck brothers, she seems to have paired with one, 4 old khaki cambles, 4 brahma hens and 2 brahma cockells
I feed them in different places so the ducks don't get picked on by the cockells and there is are lots of water places so they don't have to fight over it
I don't think she is getting picked on because I have watched my birds and hey all get on fine
She normally loves to swim
I am feeding her calcium and I put electrolytes in her water and she quite liked the taste
I will get some pictures of her for you
Thank you
Cockells can cause this to happen as roosters and cockerels attack/aggressively mate with anything smaller than them that is a female, Are they separated completely? This may be happening while you are not there, My rooster when young would mate with a duck when I was not there, I only found it out when I Installed a camera.

here are some pictures of her inside
20240311_150023.jpg 20240311_150018.jpg 20240311_145927.jpg 20240311_145834.jpg
and this is her with her freinds when she was normal
20240306_093257.jpg

Attachments

• 20240311_145914.jpg
    20240311_145914.jpg
    416.7 KB · Views: 0
Cockells can cause this to happen as roosters and cockerels attack/aggressively mate with anything smaller than them that is a female, Are they separated completely? This may be happening while you are not there, My rooster when young would mate with a duck when I was not there, I only found it out when I Installed a camera.
they are together but i feed breakfast in different places
i can see that it might happen but johnny is so small compered to my giant brahmas that they leave them alone i have seen my cocrelles try to mate with one of my kahkis but the kahki just ran away and that was at breakfast when the cocrells are extra crazy (this is when i started feeding in diferent places but it was quite awhile ago now) but my calls just slip away
also the kahkis and the calls were their before the brahmas and they split in to two groups 'the ducks' and 'the chickens' as i call them
thanks

Back
Top Bottom