Broody, Broody, who has a Broody

I have a broody! Me! Me! Me! I Do! I Do!
wee.gif

I have RIR eggs from bamachicken coming for my broody barred rock!!
yippiechickie.gif

I have one broody, a cochin on 13 eggs. one hatched so far. found it outside the nest box on the grown still
sad.png
put it in the incubator to warm up and it seems to be ok now.

I need a better setup for broodies. I got them a separate dog kennel chain link pen but not happy with the coop. the chick must have got outside and couldn't get back in and hen is still sitting.

anyone have better suggestions? maybe a big plastic dog house and keep the door shut the last few days so the hen can't get out and chicks can't either?

I'm discouraged. I started out with 3 cochin hens and this is the last one. lost the other two when they went broody outside in tall weeds and something got them
sad.png

yes, my cochin (was cochins) go broody all the time. I'd say they are broody at least 9 months of the year. never yet hatched anything on their own, though
sad.png

I wasn't sure whether to add a new thread to the 210 threads in Incubating & hatching Eggs or to add to a thread that looked appropriate. I'm still learning the unwritten rules of this forum.

I feel like a new father again. Yesterday or today was the expected hatch date for the eggs under one of my broody hens. yesterday, nothing. Today when I checked my birds I heard faint peeping under the hen. Ran back to the house ( I was a little excited) and told my wife that I thought we had babies. When I was checking on the 3 week old chicks who had been moved to the coop yesterday my wife had a look. She saw one of the little peepers. My daughter and her boyfriend just came in and saw five little peepers. When I get the photo posting figured out I will psot some photos. Very exciting.

Last edited:
I can finally jump in on this thread! I have a broody - my first. My girls are all just over a year old. I'm very excited BUT ... I don't have a Roo so no fertile eggs. She sat for a week on NOTHING!! just air! So, I had a wonderful fellow BYC'er mail me some fertile eggs and put them under her last Saturday.

I really, really, really hope that at least one hatches. I think her 'growling' is so funny.

Yesterday my DD came in and said that my broody was sitting on the wrong nestbox. I went out and found another hen sitting on the fertile eggs. I decided to let it be and come back in a few minutes. When I went back out my broody was back sitting on her proper nest with the fertile eggs. I'm guessing that the other girl laid an egg with the other ones that are there. I'd like to collect that egg but don't want to mess up mommy/broody.

Should I just leave the unfertile egg for the next two weeks? Or, should I get under her and find it and take it away?

Back
Top Bottom